Comment Panel change… WHY!

• 10 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Why did Miro change the location of the comment panel from Left to the Right?

Why did Miro violate UX first principles of building on existing habits?

PLEASE move it back.

Anybody else surprised by this?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

For those who may not being seeing this change, here’s a visual:

@Matthias - I suspect one reason behind the move was to enable greater visibility into new comments, and perhaps quicker access to the panel. I am indifferent to this change as I never used the comments panel in its previous location (but perhaps now I will use it more… 😮)

Robert, I must say that seems like a reach.  

Are you saying that an experienced power user like yourself did not use a collaborative tool like comments because you did not see it?…  🤔

Comments don’t really belong in the global nav, but rather with other content and time-based features like Frames and especially Board History.

I really hope Miro is listening to this.

“For those who may not being seeing this change” because maybe they can’t find it like all of my team.

Was it perhaps to make room for a upsell feature, “Activities”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Are you saying that an experienced power user like yourself did not use a collaborative tool like comments because you did not see it?…  🤔

I do use comments and was aware of the comments tab in the left sidebar. I just didn’t use the sidebar as I could already see comments on the board. My team uses comments as a way to add notes related to the object where the comment is placed. And because we don’t mark comments as “resolved”, they are always present. I also try not to use comments for anything critical as they don’t export with a board.

I get where you’re coming from @Robert Johnson, but I find that using Comments visually can become onerous as their numbers increase during a project and as threads on a topic grow. One of the wonderfully useful things about Miro is centralizing communication at the object/element level until questions are resolved. Comments are a great way to advance design in a focused way. 

Readily being able to see the comments as a history of an issue in the same pane as History and Frames panels has been a key to our productivity. 

PS 1
Agree, that exporting Comments with a board makes no sense… unless it were for a backup not a PDF.
However, I do think exporting Comments as a CSV would be a helpful addition, a request I recently saw.

PS 2
Additionally, Miro inserting premium features into UI panes to promote sales of these features feels invasive. It’s also frustrating when core UI layout changes like Comments panel placement make users have to change how they work.