BUG: Shift + Scroll works intermittently

• 5 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Tried on a brand new board as this was happening on another private one:

If I hold Shift and then Scroll with the mouse wheel, this _sometimes_ scrolls horizontally, but quite often the behaviour breaks.

It seems to happen if when I scroll without shift - after that, Shift + Scroll zooms until I reload or something else happens.  Sticky ‘flags’ for zooming get wiped out on scroll action?​​​​

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Glengineered - The fact that your board is panning horizontally when use your mouse wheel, but also sometimes zooms, tells me that you likely have a laptop and that your user Mouse or trackpad preferences is set to Auto-detect.

If you are unfamiliar with these settings, you may want to try each of them and see how Miro behaves. Personally, I always use a mouse, so I force mouse and when I use the mouse wheel, the board will zoom in/out, but when I want to pan the board, I right-click and drag.

But, back to your issue. If your settings are on Auto-detect, then perhaps Miro is sometimes getting “confused”, e.g., when it suddenly does not detect a mouse, it reacts with panning, but other times it zooms.

Can you tell us more about your set up, e.g.,

• Laptop? Laptop with touchscreen
  • Wired or wireless mouse?
  • Windows, Mac, Linux?
  • How are you using Miro when this happens? Browser (which one) or desktop app? 

You can read more about using Miro with a mouse, trackpad, or touchscreen in the following help center article → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017731053

Hi,

Ok, I see what you mean there.

I am using an MacBook Air with an external keyboard & mouse plugged in, so generally using the mouse.  On Chrome browser.

If I force the preferences, then yes, it seems to behave better.  Maybe needs some kind of throttling / hysteresis on not detecting the mouse.  I had got confused originally because I thought we were in Figma and the controls were not behaving.  Compared with Figma - that is more solid 😟

Thank you.