Question

Broadcasting messages to whole class when they work on different boards in small groups

• 9 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Dear Miro community members,

This is our first semester jointly teaching practicals in a multidisciplinary engineering undergrad course using zoom and miro in sync, and we are excited to learn what we can do with miro. We have an educational licence

One question we had in the practical yesterday:

when we make students in the class work in separate boards in small groups (we prefer this to having one big board as there are 80 students) when they are in zoom breakout rooms at the same time, broadcasting a message to all of them (such as “5 minutes left”)  from zoom can go unnoticed because they minimize zoom and concentrate on the miro board. I understand we can use comments with @team mention to draw their attention (which we have not tried yet):  there are 12 boards synchrounously active, shall we put the comment on all boards? Any suggestions how to best get their immediate attention as  the wholde class  all at once will be very much appreciated. 

Best,

Bilge 

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Not the best solution but if needed: Require all students to have a 3rd party notification app open.  For example, an email they get, a group WhatsApp message, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Bilge Say -

If it is time notification, I’d recommend having the breakout room facilitator/lead set a timer in each Miro board when the learners are sent to their rooms.

Other than that, either use a 3rd party app as @Robert Kienzle has suggested, or as you’ve suggested post a comment or drop a large, colorful text box in the approximate area in each room where the students are working.

As a good practice, with that many breakout rooms, I do recommend having the concept of a breakout room lead (it can rotate among the learners in that breakout room) who is responsible for fielding communications from the facilitator.

Kiron

I would also love this feature. It happens often that I want to communicate to other groups in breakout rooms (but all working on the same Miro board) without disturbing their workflow and bringing them back to main room in Zoom.

Yes, timer can be used but often I adjust timing as we go. Also the timer doesn’t let you communicate anything beyond “it’s over”. 

Userlevel 1

We need means of flashing up a message or informing any one using Miro.

The scenario is: I want to lock Miro board therefore I would like everyone to stop making changes.

Ditto when the Miro board is unlocked. 

As Miro allows guest users - it may be difficult to contact everyone via other means in a timely manner