boards

• 9 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Good afternoon, on December 21, I discovered that two of my boards (there were more, but these two are the most important) were deleted. At that time, the tariff was free, I read about similar cases and decided to upgrade the tariff in order to see them in the cart.

After paying for the tariff, I discovered that the boards were neither in the cart nor in my favorites, where they had definitely been before.

There is also no button to restore boards by following links. I sent the link to one of the students. When the plan was free, it had a similar message that the board was deleted, after the upgrade a more interesting message appeared that the owner must confirm the request to join the board.

So the question is, who is the owner if not me?

The support referred to security reasons and did not want to give me information about the ‘administrator’. They also advised me to look through messages to see who sent me an invitation to join. No one sent me an invitation to join my boards :) I have messages from students where I sent them an invitation to join :)

And the strangest thing is that of all the removed boards, one miraculously survived. And how did this happen, if I created it in the same way as those two, but for some reason it survived, while the other two disappeared without a trace.

I definitely did not join any teams, I have all the evidence that I am the only owner, and only I am on my team, what is this problem? Has anyone encountered this?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ekaterina4 - Scenarios like this are, unfortunately, the result of the several channels that exist in creating a free Miro account.

For example, you don’t necessarily need to be “invited” to join a team. If I open a board in one of my Free Plan team and want to invited you to edit the board with me, all I need to do is use the “invite to board and team” “Copy team invite link” button and send you the link - as soon as you click on the link, if you have a Miro account already, you will end up on the board, but will also have been added to the team as a full team member. For example → https://miro.com/welcomeonboard/WmtmcUNpbm1sWWxhMWVYc3lJOFBwbUF0cllkQUNBU1hkWWg4NHFaUUhXQkVuME5RVUl6NnFKeGdRM1QxeFJlV3wzMDc0NDU3MzQ5MTE1MDQwMDI3fDI=?share_link_id=588709513504

And if you didn’t have a Miro account, you would be prompted to go through the sign up steps, but would still then be a member of my team. When these steps all occur, then these “unwilling” team members start creating boards in the Free Plan. Then, when a Team Admin of the Free Plan -- usually the person who created the team in the first place -- realizes, then delete the user from the team, therefore assuming ownership of the deleted user’s content. Note: There are slight variations of this scenario, but that is the gist of it.

You could also try searching all of your email boxes for the board links, to see if someone ever sent them to you. I would also try searching for just miro.com, to find the first link you ever received at all - maybe that will shed some light on things. And, also try searching for realtimeboard.com - Miro’s previous name.

@Ekaterina4 - Scenarios like this are, unfortunately, the result of the several channels that exist in creating a free Miro account.

For example, you don’t necessarily need to be “invited” to join a team. If I open a board in one of my Free Plan team and want to invited you to edit the board with me, all I need to do is use the “invite to board and team” “Copy team invite link” button and send you the link - as soon as you click on the link, if you have a Miro account already, you will end up on the board, but will also have been added to the team as a full team member. For example → https://miro.com/welcomeonboard/WmtmcUNpbm1sWWxhMWVYc3lJOFBwbUF0cllkQUNBU1hkWWg4NHFaUUhXQkVuME5RVUl6NnFKeGdRM1QxeFJlV3wzMDc0NDU3MzQ5MTE1MDQwMDI3fDI=?share_link_id=588709513504

And if you didn’t have a Miro account, you would be prompted to go through the sign up steps, but would still then be a member of my team. When these steps all occur, then these “unwilling” team members start creating boards in the Free Plan. Then, when a Team Admin of the Free Plan -- usually the person who created the team in the first place -- realizes, then delete the user from the team, therefore assuming ownership of the deleted user’s content. Note: There are slight variations of this scenario, but that is the gist of it.

You could also try searching all of your email boxes for the board links, to see if someone ever sent them to you. I would also try searching for just miro.com, to find the first link you ever received at all - maybe that will shed some light on things. And, also try searching for realtimeboard.com - Miro’s previous name.

I understand what you mean, I searched all over the mail for various requests, I don’t have such invitations :( 

That is, on a free account, anyone I give access to the board with the ability to edit can ‘intercept’ my access to the board? I understand correctly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ekaterina4 

That is, on a free account, anyone I give access to the board with the ability to edit can ‘intercept’ my access to the board? I understand correctly?

If you created a Free Plan team, then you would be the only admin, unless you ever promoted another member to Team Admin. Then, any boards you created in a team where you were the sole admin, no one else would be able to delete you from the board or “intercept”/take ownership of your boards. Anyone on the team, however, can make changes to the board if the Team’s access is set to “Can edit”:

If you cannot find any email from miro.com or realtimeboard.com that says something about “welcome to Miro” or “verify your new account registration”, etc. then it is likely that you never created your Miro account (and therefore your own team space where you were the Team Admin). Therefore, you were a member of someone else’s team and an admin on that team deleted you. They could have then immediately added you to the team again, and even given you back just one of the boards -- all speculation, but plausible. 

@Ekaterina4

If you created a Free Plan team, then you would be the only admin, unless you ever promoted another member to Team Admin. Then, any boards you created in a team where you were the sole admin, no one else would be able to delete you from the board or “intercept”/take ownership of your boards. Anyone on the team, however, can make changes to the board if the Team’s access is set to “Can edit”:

If you cannot find any email from miro.com or realtimeboard.com that says something about “welcome to Miro” or “verify your new account registration”, etc. then it is likely that you never created your Miro account (and therefore your own team space where you were the Team Admin). Therefore, you were a member of someone else’s team and an admin on that team deleted you. They could have then immediately added you to the team again, and even given you back just one of the boards -- all speculation, but plausible. 

No, I didn’t receive such messages “welcome to Miro” or “verify your new account registration”. I registered through my Google account in January last year and that’s it. Then I started creating a board and working …

And what about ‘can edit’ option? If this option is installed, can someone take away the access rights? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ekaterina4 

No, I didn’t receive such messages “welcome to Miro” or “verify your new account registration”. I registered through my Google account in January last year and that’s it. Then I started creating a board and working …

After I sent my last reply, I had realized my logic was a bit flawed in that, even though you may have initially created your Miro account while trying to access a board that someone shared a link to with you, you still should have received some sort of “new account” email. However, your mentioning using your Google account to “Sign up with Google” at miro.com, so perhaps an email is not sent. I suppose one thing that could of happened is that someone accessed your Miro account by signing into your Google account.

And what about ‘can edit’ option? If this option is installed, can someone take away the access rights? 

No, this is just means they can edit the board. Only the board Owner can delete the board, and there can only be one Owner – more on roles here.

Unfortunately, you really are at a loss unless you can figure out which team you created the boards in and who the Team Admin(s) are, and then ask them for assistance,

Is there any chance that you have another email address that you have used with Miro?

@Ekaterina4

After I sent my last reply, I had realized my logic was a bit flawed in that, even though you may have initially created your Miro account while trying to access a board that someone shared a link to with you, you still should have received some sort of “new account” email. However, your mentioning using your Google account to “Sign up with Google” at miro.com, so perhaps an email is not sent. I suppose one thing that could of happened is that someone accessed your Miro account by signing into your Google account.

No, this is just means they can edit the board. Only the board Owner can delete the board, and there can only be one Owner – more on roles here.

Unfortunately, you really are at a loss unless you can figure out which team you created the boards in and who the Team Admin(s) are, and then ask them for assistance,

Is there any chance that you have another email address that you have used with Miro?

Yes, when I registered through Google there really was a different email

But now I noticed that even if I log in through Google, I open an account with a different email (which was mentioned)

And if I enter the data manually, I need to use the data with an email that is not listed in a Google account

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ekaterina4 - Are you perhaps signed in to multiple Google accounts in the same browser? You could try an incognito window, or another browser, signing in to the Google account that you are certain you used to create your Miro account where the missing boards may reside.

@Ekaterina4 - Are you perhaps signed in to multiple Google accounts in the same browser? You could try an incognito window, or another browser, signing in to the Google account that you are certain you used to create your Miro account where the missing boards may reside.

I’ve tried another browser and incognito window, the same situation :(