Board Owner VS Admin Rights VS Collaborator

• 17 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi, 

I have admin rights for our Miro Boards but I am not able to see this screen when I go to the share screen. Do you have to be the owner of the board or a collaborator to be able to see this and to see the advance settings. 

Thank you in advance, 

Sharon

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Miro-Admin - From the looks of that screenshot, I assume you are on the Enterprise Plan. If this is correct, all I can suggest is that you review the Enterprise Plan help center article, specifically the one titled Sharing Policy. And if you haven’t already, I would send this question to Miro support:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Another good one → Admin Rights

Hi, 

Thanks so much for the quick response. Unfortunately we are not on the enterprise plan. I took the screen shot from a Miro Tutorial and did not realize that is only available on the enterprise plan. 

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Sharon. Did you have a question a question about a specific sharing setting that you’re looking to learn more about?

Hi Robert, 

Yes - my specific question is how much access does the admin role have.  I am trying to see who has access to boards.  We have people on our team that can see boards that they are not supposed to see and I am trying to figure out how I can see the specific list of people who can see and access the boards. Does the board owner need to not only invite the admin to the board but also make the admin a collaborator. Do we need to be on the Enterprise plan to be able to see everything.  I am also wondering how when I look at the active user list it shows that the admin only has access to five boards but when I go to the all boards view I can open and look at a lot more boards.  Do you have any recommendations on which tutorials I should watch. 

Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

From my experience with the Admin role in the Consultant, Education, and Team Plans, the Admin doesn’t have the abilities to make board/project related changes and is more an Admin of team/user permissions - anyone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

E.g., I can make a board and set Team access to the board → No Access and the team admin will never be able to see it. Should change that access to Can view, and you will be able to now see it and view the board, but you still cant make Share level access changes as the Share option won’t even appear for you.

You will also not be able to delete any boards that you are not the owner of. The only way you could delete other users boards is to delete that user from the team which should prompt you what to do with the boards at that point - delete them or take ownership of them. Additionally, the owner of the board could just add you as a user at the board level and make you the owner.

The lack of “board/project” level permissions has sparked a number of discussions and enhancement requests on this forums - e.g., Better Admin controls (which I suggest that you add your vote to).

As the admin, one Team level setting you may want to review are the default Board & Project sharing settings. This controls who all can see/access board and projects when they are first created. By the way, I have now assumed that you are on the Team Plan?

From your dashboard:

1. Click on the team settings/gear icon:
  2. And then find the Permissions section and scroll to the bottom:

With these set to Only board owners and Only project owners, users can create whatever they want and then explicitly add other users to those boards or projects. This will keep things “cleaner” for everyone. And, if a user wants to create a project to keep track of their own boards, then they can use the project as a “folder” of sorts. Or, they could create a project, add, say, two other users to that project, and then those other two years will now see that project in their Miro dashboard along with any boards that the project owner puts in there.

Some more articles to review:

Thank you this is very helpful. Yes we are on the Team Plan. With the amount of boards and users we have in any given month the Enterprise plan would cost us way too much money. I will definitely go vote on the Better Admin Controls, 

Sharon