Question

Becoming Admin for my account/team on free plan

• 6 August 2021
  • 4 replies

I’m trying to change admin for my team on my free account from a previous staff member to myself. I expect it’s why I’m also having trouble changing ownership of boards through the sharing settings, which don’t show up the drop down option to change to ‘owner’. Appreciate you’re help on this :)

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Miln - Only a Team Admin can promote a Member to the Team Admin role.

As for changing board ownership, only the board owner can do this - and the board owner does not have to be a Team Admin.

yes, i understand this - however my staff member who set up our miro account has left and so i firstly need to change ownership of account/admin i suspect, which should then resolve the board ownership issues? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Miln - You won't be able make anyone else a Team Admin, and Miro support will likely not override this for you as there is no true ownership over a free plan team. It would be different if you were the on a paid plan and were the billing contact.

You are better off to:

1. create a new Miro account using any other email address

2. Add your existing email address as a member to that new team - for now, call it "New team"

3. Promote your existing email a Team Admin on the new team (go to team profile settings, active users, use ellipsis menu to promote to Team Admin)

4. Go to the old team, right-click on each board and Duplicate it - you will now be the owner of that Duplicated board

5. Then right-click on the new board and use the "Move to account" to move the board to 'New team"

6. Once all boards have been duplicated and moved to "New team", go to the team profile settings, "Active users", and add all of your co-workers to this new team,

Now you have a new team where you are the admin and owner of all boards. I would suggest that to avoid confusion, all members of the old team leave it by going into the team profile settings and selecting "Leave team". Once this is done, you will all be members of the one/new team. And because you are the owner of all boards, you can choose to make another coworker the owner of any boards that you wish. You may also want to have at least one other Team Admin moving forward.

Finally, you can rename "New team" to match the old team name.

(Replied from my phone,  so expect typos :wink:)

thanks Robert. ill give this a go.