Skip to main content

All of a sudden the Miro board I have created for my portfolio (which most people will view in a web broweser) is displaying all kinds of pretty severe errors with type in paragraphs.

The paragraphs are now repeating the same sentences and lines over and over again — instead of showing the actual text in the text boxes.

This app is getting bad enough I am going to have to switch to FigJam or something where I can present things like this without the embarassment of having things thrown helter skelter like this…

Images attached.

This is happening in Chrome for MacOS but not in the Miro desktop application for Mac

It’s ridiculous because it switches back and forth between what is in these screenshots and the actual text — flickering back and forth constantly as you zoom in and out from my boards.

Hi @ClassyUX 

WOW - too bad they don’t give a “weirdness” prize because I think you would win!

Not sure if you have tried it -- especially since you say the Miro apps works -- Miro is a “cache monster” and it relies extensively on your browser’s cache - not cookes, but cache. For Chrome Mac if you do SHIFT-CMD-R this causes the cache to be poured down the drain and built up from scratch.

I’m a big Miro user and I am forced to do this sometimes as often as once a month. I’ve had issues where there appear to be objects I cannot delete, or pasting an object causes it to disappear, or even weirder effects.

So I’d say . . . try clearing your cache and see what happens!

Cheers, Ken

Nope. Still happens even after flusing the cache… As you zoom in and out of the board every single text box across every board does this, and flickers back and forth between showing the correct text, and these repeating lines of text. It’s making me look bad when I show my portfolio to people now and I have to ditch Miro because of it.

Another example…

Zoom in on this part of my board and this is what I see...

Then zoom in just one or two steps closer and you see this…

Zoom in another one or two steps and it goes back to being like this.

Zoom in and out rapidly and the type goes completely haywire across every single text box on the board. I can’t be doing this anymore and there are so many other glaring bugs with Miro I have to find an alternative.

FigJam here I come.

Changing the hardware settings in Chrome made the problem stop immediately — but that won’t fix the real problem I have in that OTHER people are going to be viewing these boards and seeing all of the wonky text and problems (while using Chrome on their macbooks). They aren’t going to know they can make it go away by changing that setting — but maybe someone at Miro can see this thread and use the data to fix the bug.

Or is Miro like most software companies who don’t care, and don’t even pay attention to these message board threads?

@ClassyUX - Thanks for pointing this out as it solves my issues for “jagged lines” with other vector objects in this post too:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/boards-on-windows-got-suddenly-laggy-and-low-quality-16967

Something else worth pointing out is that, for me, the issue only occurs when viewing boards through my external display (a 23.5-in monitor connected to a dock to my laptop).

I got a message saying this bug was resolved. Has the actual bug been fixed? I would not consider it fixed if a user has to turn off graphics acceleration in the browser to avoid the problem, when the bug fix should involve fixing the actual issue without having to turn off graphics acceleration.

@ClassyUX - My ticket is still open and the update I received late yesterday was:

We appreciate your feedback, and despite this action resolving your issue temporarily, we highly recommend not disabling the graphics acceleration in your browser.
Our technical team has found that disabling graphics acceleration can lead to significant performance issues. 

We are actively investigating ways to improve the quality of lines, shapes, and text to address the underlying issues without disabling graphics acceleration. 
I'll make sure to keep you updated on the progress. 

When I disabled my graphics acceleration, things got very laggy for me. I will keep an eye on my ticket and will update this post as I hear more.

I personally don’t use the browser version much, but this specific presentation I am using to show my UX portfolio to prospective employers — and they are most likely going to have the default browser settings chosen for graphics acceleration.