Arrows/Lines attached to frame

Hi there, I have an issue that some (not all) arrows or lines get attached to a set frame or sometimes even to the background. What shall I do to detach the arrows/lines completely from any background, frame or whatsoever?

Thanks for helping me out!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Teoma18 - I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but let me clarify that connection lines cannot be connected to a frame. If you try to do this, the connection line will stay in place when you move the frame, therefore giving the appearance that the connection line is anchored to the background (which, I guess it is) - this is noted in the Connection Lines Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730733-Connection-lines#h_01F3MB3D8RG7A7HF18WH5RJRQ2

Anchoring a Connection Line to a frame (sort of)

You could create a shape that is the same color as the frame (or make the shape transparent) and then anchor the connection line to the shape:

Thanks Robert,

sorry, maybe my explanation of what I try to accomplish was not clear enough. I’d like to use arrows and lines independently from other forms, backgrounds, or frames. I do not connect them with the objects like you are doing it in your clip. I would like to know how do I have to draw lines/arrows that are not connected/attached/linked to any other form on the board. The issue I (sometimes) have is that e.g. the ends of arrows stay in position while I drag a selection of forms to any direction. Again, not all arrows behave like that and I don’t understand what I am doing wrong when they do stay fixed.

I’ve done the transparent object hack to accomplish the appearance of connecting frames with lines. When you have a ton of frames, this becomes an exercise in tedium. I’d LOVE the ability for frames to behave like any other object that can be connected.

Also, if you’re exporting frames, and you don’t use the transparent hack the line will be part of your image. :slight_frown:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks Robert,

sorry, maybe my explanation of what I try to accomplish was not clear enough. I’d like to use arrows and lines independently from other forms, backgrounds, or frames. I do not connect them with the objects like you are doing it in your clip. I would like to know how do I have to draw lines/arrows that are not connected/attached/linked to any other form on the board. The issue I (sometimes) have is that e.g. the ends of arrows stay in position while I drag a selection of forms to any direction. Again, not all arrows behave like that and I don’t understand what I am doing wrong when they do stay fixed.

@Teoma18 - You can draw a line anywhere you’d like on a  board by using the Connection Line tool in the left-vertical toolbar (or by pressing L on your keyboard): 

Example - here I am placing lines on the board that are not attached to any objects:

... I’d LOVE the ability for frames to behave like any other object that can be connected.

Yes, please support Lines connection to Frames This opens up a host of opportunities (the proposed hack is not viable).

Hi

I am having an issue that I think relates to this. I am drawing arrows, lines and other shapes, like in your video @Robert Johnson, inside a big square frame. Some arrows are connected to other shapes inside this big frame and some are not. The issue is then when I need to move or reshape the outer frame, some shapes and arrows inside the frame seems attached to the outer frame some how because they start to move too and my state chart gets completely messed up. For ex, try with drawing a square and then inside that draw an arrow that is not connected. Then move the square and the arrow will start to bend as if it was connnected to the square anyway. How are some shapes connected to this outer frame that visually is not connected to anything, and how can I prevent this from happening

Regards

/Fredrik  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

In my video here, my lines are not in a frame.

@frille70 - It would be helpful if you could share a video of what you are describing. Loom is free and easy to use and share a video.

Should every visible object in Miro support attached arrows?

@Robert Johnson here is a video ( I hope)

So, what I want to happen is that the arrow should not be connected to the frame (square). I Want the arrow to be its own shape and not start to follow the frame as I move it

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@frille70 - Thanks for sharing the video. What seems to be happening is, as soon as the line is moved within a shape object, one end of the line becomes connected to the shape. The workaround appears to be to add the shape to a blank space on the board and then drag the shape back over the line - not ideal, but it works.

I can see a use case for allowing lines to be completely independent objects. I would suggest looking at any existing wish list posts re connection lines to see if there are any similar to what you are looking to accomplish and upvote them. You can also add your an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

I’m curious why this feature still hasn’t been added.