Answered

Any tips on embedding Word documents?

• 19 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
  • Active Contributor
  • 21 replies

We want to have backup documentation easily available.

One option is to embed the Word doc, but to have it take up little space it would be tiny to read. Or we could make it bigger, perhaps on a distant part of the board and set up links back and forth (that seems like a lot of work).

At the moment, we are creating links to the documents into Sharepoint. That is not terrible.

Ideal would be an embedded document that displays like an icon, but then when you double click, it opens into a window within Miro that is like a document reader, but not taking you out of the Miro experience. Is this possible? Would PDFs be any better or worse?

The goal is reference, not editing.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rob.

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 19 March 2021, 18:49

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RobOK - I understand your pain points. It sounds so simple - allow me to double-click an uploaded document and view it in a focused/modal window, similar to an embedded OneDrive or Google Drive document, which leads me to a potential workaround: Embedded the document using the OneDrive + Miro.

However, this options leads to other challenges - having your company M365 admin authorize the app, your Miro team admin install the app, and it would only be viewable to those on the board who have access to view the document (short of you enabling public viewing access for the document).

For those who are curious, where’s a similar experience using the Google Drive + Miro app:

New Feature Request

I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Lastly, don't forget to vote for your own Idea.

Userlevel 2

…. similar to an embedded OneDrive or Google Drive document, which leads me to a potential workaround: Embedded the document using the OneDrive + Miro.

It’s funny you said this, I did try this. I am on a Mac, from within Edge browser, OneDrive never “installed” within Miro. I also run the Miro desktop app, where OneDrive installed, but when I used Upload from OneDrive, a dialog box pops up blank. Knowing it might have a better experience, I will continue trying to troubleshoot. The files are actually in Teams, but i could probably move them to OneDrive.

Userlevel 2

Doing it from Safari worked. OneDrive can see Teams files (I knew this already).

So to me odd that a file uploaded from OneDrive works different than a file uploaded from my hard drive. The OneDrive file opens in a viewer panel, the regular upload does not. Must be processed differently by Miro in some way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RobOK - Yes, the OneDrive method is just embedded a ink to the file in OneDrive and loading it in a modal window where OneDrive is displaying it in the Word web app. When you upload a document directly into the Miro board, all Miro is doing is showing a lite/print preview version of the document and is not actually using a dedicated application for the selected file format - Adobe Reader, Word, Excel, etc.