Accessing Miro through Microsoft Teams

• 25 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello.

I have set up boards on Miro and I can access through Microsoft Teams.  I am only able to set the boards up as private.  I have shared the boards with my team and set them all to ‘can edit’, they can access through their browsers but it won’t link them so they can use the boards in Teams.  Only I am able to do this.  I am unable to change the boards to public due to the company settings.  Any ideas on how to fix this so my team can use the boards in MS Teams please?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Lancy - I don’t have any personal experience with the Miro + MS Teams, but I will share my thoughts based upon Miro’s Microsoft Teams Help Center article.

For starters, and to clarify the following for all readers:

I am unable to change the boards to public due to the company settings.

This would be because the board resides in an Enterprise Plan and the plan’s Company Admin role has disabled public sharing - more on this in the Sharing Policy Help Center article.

Back tot he MS Team Help Center article and the FAQs:

I was curious as to which browser MS Teams uses to open websites, so I added whatismybrowser.com to a Teams and opened and saw:

When I Google “Electron Application”, this is Chromium-based browser baked into Teams. So, when I try to load a board from Teams via the basic “Website” app, a board that I own (or a board that I have access to in a team that I am a member of), I first land on the standard Miro Sign in page:

My question to you now is: What are your users seeing when they try to access the board through Teams? Can you share a screenshot?

Also, because you have a paid plan, have you reached out to Miro support?

Thank you, they sign in through SSO and it goes to edge and then opens but does not then show in teams even though the tab ‘authorise’ is clicked.  They see the screen you have posted above and follow this and although it works in the browser it does not work in Teams, only for me.

I have reached out to Miro Support on this….

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Lancy - Well, with no hands-on experience (and because the app is blocked by my organization) I can’t troubleshoot this. Understanding the end-user experience a little bit more, I would question is it’s something related to this MS Dev Center document, however, all speculation.

Hopefully someone else on the forum/Miro support will have the answer for you.

@Robert Johnson - Thank you for trying to troubleshoot, I wonder if it’s the fact my boards can only be set to private although I have shared with the team so they can edit but not in Teams.  Hopefully there will be an answer that solves the problem, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Lancy - You’re welcome!

From reading this:

If you set the board to be Private, only registered users who have access to the board on Miro's side and are authorized in the browser will be able to access the board

I take it that for the context of MS Team, the word “Private” is used to distinguish between “Public/Anyone with the link” and “just your Team” (or whatever your Team access is set up), unlike how Miro otherwise refers to boards where “only the board owner” has access as being private. I think until they can even get authenticated, we can’t confirm anything else.