New improved timer plugin with music 🎶

• 30 March 2021
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Take control of your (virtual) space with Miro’s improved timer plugin! Set your timer during group activities to keep everyone on track and play background music to get people in the right mindset.  

The improved timer allows you to:

• Time box an activity such as brainstorming or voting
  • Pause the timer when needed 
  • Add time to the timer with the click of a button 
  • Choose royalty free background tunes 

The new timer plugin is available on Education, Team, Consultant, Business, and Enterprise plan. 

:books:  Visit the Help Center to learn more. 

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Marina :

I love the new timer and the music function …

there is a huge problem with the timer:

The limitiation of time to 99:59 Minutes.

I’ve got workshops that has got a duration of a whole day so there should be hours, too.

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@mlanders Wow, what workshop activities do you run that is timeboxed for so long? I’d maxed out 40mins before everyone gets back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Isman Tanuri :

Not so long - but often I tell them:

Board is open to work on from now 10:00 AM till after dinner 12:30 PM.

So we’ll meet again here on the board and you can show me your results.

For me it would be a great addition if I could combine the timer with the clock and it counts down … so my participants can see exactly how many time they have got left till it is 12:30 PM.

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@mlanders : +1 for supporting up to 24 hours at least for the timer!

I also find that the background music, while initially appealing, rapidly becomes annoying “on hold” music, so I turned it off after 10 minutes of it looping! Being able to upload your own MP3 file might make it more appealing...

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Kiron Bondale 

The upload or use of my own background music makes sense to me it has to be combined with the message:

“If you using your own music make shure that this is roalty free music otherwise you can get a problem with music companies.”

_X__ Yes I use roalty free music / my own music

If you not tick this on you cannot get into the upload your own music button.

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Cosmic vibe is my favourite.

Also, I don’t see mention of this in the Timer Help Center article, but I just noticed that if I start a timer session on the board, it remains there for the set duration - e.g., I set on a board with Anyone with the link → Can edit, closed my browser, opened an incognito window, and browsed to the board as an anonymous guest editor and there it was:

Has it always worked like that?!

#whoknew

Userlevel 4

@mlanders I have some beta feature that will be interesting for you to test in case of a long session, will text you in DM about that

@Robert Johnson Could you explain  a bit more what you expected to see there as a Guest Editor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kate Ivanova -

Could I also get the update as far as long sessions go?

Thanks!

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kate Ivanova

@mlanders I have some beta feature that will be interesting for you to test in case of a long session, will text you in DM about that

@Robert Johnson Could you explain  a bit more what you expected to see there as a Guest Editor?

I just didn’t know that the timer session was running on a server, independent of the board, i.e., I expected that if all participants closed a board, the session would end.

Userlevel 4

@Robert Johnson no the Timer is running till it ends or someone with the correct permission ends it, Guest editors don’t have those permissions, Editors and Board Owners can stop it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I see your use case now, @mlanders! Thank you for sharing. It’s more from a day-to-day work activities, rather facilitating a 3-hour workshop, for example.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Kate Ivanova Is that a new timer behaviour with this release, Kate? ie Guest Editors cannot stop, pause or start the timer. This was one of my bugbears. I had participants starting or stopping timers during the workshop. Just happened last week on another team’s board.

So that’s one feature I never teach during Miro onboarding :joy:

Userlevel 4

Hey @Isman Tanuri Correct, Guest Editors can not control Timer, only see it on the board when it is running.

@Marina we love this new feature, but we can’t hear the timer or the music!  Any ideas?  :grinning: Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Callista Chen - I just tested in both the latest Chrome browser and Miro desktop app and can hear the music.

If it isn’t working for a group of users who are on the same network, e.g., a corporate VPN, “streaming music” may be blocked.

Thank you, for the test, @Robert Johnson!  Nope, I cannot hear the music on your timer, either.  I’ll try to login at another location and see if that changes things.  We don’t have a VPN.)  Thank you!  Please send any other ideas - I appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Callista Chen - When you say we, this is two or more people that all can’t rear it on separate computers?

Here’s the full process I am following to select timer music:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BEuZ6MGaxu-GBI6u8iJRCp6GYOKrsSNP/view?usp=sharing

Have you tried it using a Miro App? https://miro.com/apps/

Userlevel 1

Timer music doesn’t seem to be playing for my boards in the Miro app today (April 13).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Timer music doesn’t seem to be playing for my boards in the Miro app today (April 13).

@Steve Morris - What version do you have? What if you reset the application data?

If Windows, use Alt key to expose menu bar:

Version and Reset application data option are under the Help menu:

NOTE: I am currently on 0.5.2:

Userlevel 1

Nevermind, user error. 

I guess it was not obvious to me that the music is muted by default and I had to unmute to hear it.

@Robert Johnson It works on the app!  Thanks!  By “we” I meant my company, when I said we don't have a VPN. 

@Robert Johnson just following up to let you know that someone from Miro reached out to me by email.  Turns out that I had a Chrome extension that wasn’t allowing the music to play.  (The extension was one that disabled HTML autoplay.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson just following up to let you know that someone from Miro reached out to me by email.  Turns out that I had a Chrome extension that wasn’t allowing the music to play.  (The extension was one that disabled HTML autoplay.)

@Callista Chen - Thanks for following up. This will surely help anyone else who runs into this issue.

Userlevel 1

@Kate Ivanova will that “longer time in timer” feature be available soon for everyone or do we still need to request it directly?

I love this new feature, adding music is a plus, thus I’d love to know it there is a possibility to change the timer music or being able to choose from different ones? I’ve used them all, but adding feature to personalize the waiting music will be just AWESOME.