Team members vs board access? Free plan

• 5 September 2021
  • 1 reply

I am using the free plan in my undergraduate classes. I want to use the share link to given my students board access during class, but I don’t want them to be team members so they can see new board as I make them before class. 

My students just started making their Miro Accounts and it looks like one student found my team and added himself so I had to scramble and cover up all my board content with a large object. 

Can I remove this student from my team? Or when I use the Link to Share the boards in class, will that just automatically add the students to my team regardless? I basically want them to be able to collaborate on the boards during class, but I don’t want them to be looking at my boards before class. 

Also, if I upgrade to get the paid version and make private boards (if that is the only way to do what I need to do) - I don’t want to pay for all my students to get the upgrade too - how does that work?? 

Many thanks for your help!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Shannon Rawski

I am using the free plan in my undergraduate classes. I want to use the share link to given my students board access during class, but I don’t want them to be team members so they can see new board as I make them before class. 

One must be a team member to edit a board that resides in a Free Plan team.

My students just started making their Miro Accounts and it looks like one student found my team and added himself so I had to scramble and cover up all my board content with a large object. 

It sounds like your team permissions are configured to allow for other email domain users, e.g., @yourschool.ca email address users, to discover and join your team. I suggest you lock down your team as follows:

Team profile settings:

Permissions and then set Team signup mode to Invitation only:

While in Permissions, we can address how some students may be automatically added to your team. If you have  this setting enabled:

… then you will have this button in a board’s Share settings:

I suggest that you disable the Enable team invite link setting.

Can I remove this student from my team?

Yes. Settings → Active users → ellipsis menu → Delete from team

Also, if I upgrade to get the paid version and make private boards (if that is the only way to do what I need to do) - I don’t want to pay for all my students to get the upgrade too - how does that work?? 

You have two options:

1. Upgrading you Free Plan to a paid plan - Delete the other members and upgrade your team - if the Team Plan, there is a two member minimum, so $20/month or $16 is paid annually
  2. Add a new team to your profile - you could keep your Free Plan team and add a paid plan:

More on plans here:

You may also have a third option: The Education Plan where you could have a free 100-member plan for free, for life. More on this here: Miro for Education.

If you do apply and receive an education plan, I would encourage you to read the following articles: