How Do You Miro? Retrospective Templates Challenge 🔮

How Do You Miro? Retrospective Templates Challenge 🔮
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Miro Heroes :sparkles:

Last month, Miroverse turned the grand old age of one, and it got us thinking about how far we’ve come — and how far we still have to go. We used this milestone as an opportunity to reflect on the successes and failures of the past year, drawing insights to help us better prepare for the future of Miroverse.

Teams familiar with the Agile methodology call this process a “retrospective” and typically don’t wait for a whole year. Some find it’s most useful at the end of an entire project, quarter, sprint, or event.

Today, we’re kicking off the next Miro templates contest: How Do You Miro? Retrospective Templates Challenge 🔮 This contest is all about reflection and learning. We’d love to see your favorite activities for looking back and envisioning the future, so please share your best retrospective examples with the community on Miro. 

Challenge details

:calendar:  Timing

• Submission period: June 1-28

• Voting & judging: June 28 - July 5

• Winners announced: July 5

:ballot_box:  Voting & judging

• Judges' Choice will be awarded by our panel of expert judges. Submissions are judged on their ease of use, layout, and that special fun factor.

• People’s Choice award will be based on top likes under the comment here in the online community. Make sure to vote for your favourite template by July 5 ☝️

:gift:  Prizes

• Judges’ Choice - iPad & exclusive Miro branded cover & Apple Pencil 

• People’s Choice - AirPods & exclusive Miro branded case

• :sunglasses:  Miro swag to all participants

• All submissions are considered for Miroverse 

• Winners will be featured on Miroverse and in a roundup blog post on the Miro Blog

How to participate

:pencil:  To enter, please add a comment in this thread with the following details:

• Your full name
  • Role and company
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access)
  • Instructions on how to use the template
  • [Optional] 1-3 min video overview of your template

:warning:  Entry requirements

• Created and designed using Miro
  • All information must belong to the board owner (we will reject all submissions containing copyright-protected content on board)
  • Must be in English
  • Your template must be submitted to Miroverse before the challenge deadline
  • By participating in the challenge, you agree that your submission may be published and used for promotional activities by Miro

:nerd:  Judges

• Community Guest Judge: @Johanna Torstensson - certified professional Agile Coach in Sweden passionate about coaching and team dynamics. Her mission is to create opportunities for teams to collaborate, where they leave the workshop or meeting with energy and a feeling of really having accomplished something awesome together. 
    See Johanna’s Sailboat Retrospective Template in Miroverse

• Miro Knowledge Expert: @Lindsey Meredith - Product Marketing Manager at Miro. Lindsey has worked closely with Product and UX teams for the last seven years on developing and implementing remote collaboration practices in their teams. 
    See Lindsey’s Facilitating Agile Retrospectives Workshop template in Miroverse

• Miroverse Team Judge: @Mariam Danielian - Mariam coordinates the content production for Miro templates and oversees Miroverse templates library publications. She is inspired by the creativity of Miro users who turn an endless empty canvas into a universe of their own creation and is passionate about sharing their work with others. 

Happy collaborating and good luck!  :rocket:

:question:  FAQs

The template is awesome! Can I use/copy it? 

All templates should eventually be added to Miroverse, so please stay tuned! If you need this template right away, please reach out to the author directly.

Can I post more than one template?

Yes.

How to embed the board?

It’s easy! All you need to do is to choose Embed media under the three-dots menu and paste the Miro board URL. Make sure to accept cookies to be able to embed the board.

-cRu-qDUbfojJrZ7LEMdUb24Q2qeOv3HWYk2mLUZkrsXiAcv8zX6iu3NV_SOUdUu7aQQMaDOkZ6Jvjmwsk2vWCM70iMapQaTtiNSfA5aM2kVHtsH2DSouo1h5bJLWV2Loqcoh2bQ

:bulb:  Check your board’s Start view as it defines the board preview in the embed. You can set the start view by right-clicking on a blank space on the board and choosing the corresponding option.

I can’t embed the board. ‘The provided domain is not supported’ error

Please accept cookies in order to be able to embed the Miro board.

Can I win both prizes? 

No, one submission can’t win both awards. If there’s such a case, then the People’s Choice will go to the submission with the second largest number of likes.

How to submit my template to Miroverse? 

Just go to https://miro.com/miroverse/ and click Publish your board in the bottom right corner.

37 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Retrospective VICE VERSA

1. Your full name - Guillaume Lerouge
  2. Role and company - Lean/Agile Coach - Nowshak.
  3. Embedded board - https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_l9_92zg=/ 
  4. Instructions on how to use the template

Inspired by Pixar's VICE VERSA, this retrospective is perfectly suited to teleworking teams wishing to inspect the way they work and gain efficiency.

Participants describe it as very dynamic, fun and effective.

JOY, SADNESS, FEAR, ANGER and DISGUST accompany the team in 5 workshops to help them build a SMART action plan in a good mood.

SET THE STAGE

This is the time to welcome the participants, introduce them to the characters, align them on the mindset to be adopted in the retrospective, and take everyone's emotional temperature and give everyone a voice

GATHER DATA

This is the moment to recall what has happened since the last retrospective or since the beginning of the period under discussion. This step allows you to retrieve all the useful data for the future and to position them on top of the timeline if they are positive and below if they are not.

GENERATE INSIGHTS

This is the time to come up with ideas that we can then turn into SMART action. As COLERE says, all ideas are good, so let's not be afraid to submit them

DECIDE WHAT TO DO

This is the time to write down really actionable items and commit to them. This step is easier when all the previous steps have been completed.

CLOSE RETRO

We end here with a management 3.0 tool (Happiness Door) that combines the happiness index and the feedback door. This little game allows you to thank the participants for their work and to ask them for their feedback before leaving.

Crystal Watson, Scrum Master, UMB

Let the team put post-its on what they think were a nightmare, was Stranger than Fiction, What was an unexpected twist.  It is up to the team member to determine if good or bad.  We then discussed and determined what we could improve.

Retro Name: Team Sustainability Retrospective

1. Your full name - Pardeep (aka Paddy) Dhanda
  2. Role and company - Chief Visual Thinker @ Paddy Dhanda Ltd
  3. Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - 

4. Instructions on how to use the template - Details below.

Instructions:

This retrospective template was inspired by the 8th agile principle from the Agile Manifesto: Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely. The retro uses the theme of sustainability through out the 5 step process which include a number of fun activities. This retro can be used by any Agile team that is looking to identify and eliminate wasteful activities.

In line with the theme of sustainability, the visuals have recycled as many of the standard built in Miro features as possible.

How does the Team Sustainability retrospective work?

Each activity must be tackled in the order in which they are listed in the template over 5 key steps. Timings for the retro are flexible depending upon the size of your team, but typically it should be completed within 60 mins:

1) Step 1: Set the Stage - Kick off with 2 fun icebreakers by selecting which item you would take with you on a desert island, and gauge how the previous iteration went for you by picking the most relevant weather icon.

2) Step 2: Gather Data - The main part of the retro asks teams to identify what they are most proud of from the previous iteration to celebrate key successes. Then identify the most wasteful activities within the team by using the 7 Lean wastes.

3) Step 3: Generate Insights - Each team member should transfer their stick notes from the previous board to the most relevant circle of influence - this will help the team focus on the things that they have control over as a priority.

4) Step 4: Decide What To Do - Each team member should transfer their sticky notes within the sphere of influence that the team can control to the appropriate quadrant in this board. This will enable group consensus on the things the team wish to improve as part of the next iteration.

5) Step 5: Close the Retrospective - This is a fun way to end the retro where the team will identify commitments to make the world a better place. These could include any theme such as, how to help the environment by recycling more, helping others by having regular coffee catch-ups to improve their mental health, etc.

I hope you enjoy the Team Sustainability Retro!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi   @Chris Stone@DWestgarth@Martina Bonetti@Steven Sampson-Jones@Clyde D'Souza @Laurence Wood , @GuillaumeL@nagrap @Crystal Watson  and all the guests of this challenge :wave_tone2:

Many thanks to all participants for sharing your amazing boards! 

I’m here to tell you that we closed this thread for new submissions yesterday, and our judges take a week to choose the winner :nerd:

:ballot_box:  Public voting for the People’s Choice is also open until July 4th (EOD), so let’s get voting! Please put a thumbs-up under the post if you like the template. Participants can also share a link to this thread with your network and get their support (:warning:NOTE: we only count the likes :thumbsup_tone2: under your comment here in the Miro online community).

Stay tuned! We will get back to you on July 5th and announce the winners :trophy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi everyone and especially @Steven Sampson-Jones @Clyde D'Souza @Martina Bonetti @Chris Stone @nagrap @GuillaumeL @Laurence Wood @DWestgarth @Crystal Watson   :blush:

Ta-da! I am happy to announce the winners of this How Do You Miro? Retrospective Templates Challenge :confetti_ball:

Ladies and gentlemen, 

:drum::drum::drum:  The winners are:

Congratulations! :clap_tone2::clap_tone2::clap_tone2:

The prizes will soon be on their way to the winners and all the participants who followed the entry requirements.
The winners will also see a new badge in their community profile soon :military_medal:

We want to thank everyone for participating in this challenge and sharing your awesome boards! Most of these templates will soon appear in our Miroverse and will become available to all Miro users.

Stay tuned for the next challenge! :bellhop: And if you don’t want to miss it, subscribe to this category to receive an email notification when we launch a new contest.

Have a good one :blue_heart:

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

That’s fantastic news—thank you, judges! 🙏

Userlevel 2
Badge

That’s fantastic news—thank you, judges! 🙏

Congratulations Clyde! :clap:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Congrats @Steven Sampson-Jones. Your board is awesome. You deserve it :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks for the opportunity to showcase our work Mironeers, congratulations @Clyde D'Souza.

Always a pleasure seeing @DWestgarth, @Chris Stone and @nagrap’s work and creativity. Shout out also to @Martina Bonetti and @GuillaumeL’s templates, I’ll be test driving them myself later this week. 

Much love. ❤️

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey Miroboard designers 👋 and especially @Steven Sampson-Jones  @Clyde D'Souza  @Martina Bonetti @Chris Stone @nagrap @GuillaumeL @Laurence Wood @DWestgarth @Crystal Watson

I had the honor of being the Community Guest Judge in this challenge. After browsing Miroverse as prep for this task, I knew there were lots of talented people out there designing virtual boards. But not like this…😲 Wow, I´m totally blown away of all your creativity and deep knowledge of the building blocks of a successful Retrospective template! 🚀

Thank you everyone who participated in this challenge and big congrats to the winners!

🥇Clyde D´Souza with his creative and playful “Retrospective in the Island of Golocans” were you as participant are exploring sweets fruits, hidden gold and hopefully find message in a bottle on the Islands. But, be aware… there might be pirates 🏴‍☠️ on the shore! Excellent job creating an exciting journey to make the Retrospective extra fun!

🥇Steven Sampson-Jones with his beautiful hand-drawn “Marvellous Retrospective” illustrations 🐱‍🏍, while all the steps for a successful Retrospective outcome was included in the template. A design that will boost the participants to be creative during the retro session for sure. Well done! 🎉

You all made an amazing contribution to this challenge, and I´m so happy to have you in my network. ✨

Cheers,
Johanna Torstensson (Agile Coach in Sweden)

I am fairly new to Miro and was amazed at the boards that were submitted.  I have learned more about using Miro by reviewing these boards.  I have also been challenged to up my retrospective game.  Congratulations to the winners, you deserved it.

Hi here is our ‘Richer Retrospectives’ Miro board….

• Your full name: Laurence Wood
  • Role and company: Digital Leadership Coach with North Highland UK

Instructions on how to use the template:

This informal retro is fast to learn. It helps teams to discuss their challenges, assess their performance, and decide on an improvement they wish to focus on next. The orange universal cards help any team using any approach. Teams adopting Agile will value the green fusion cards. The pink cards are Agile-specific for more mature teams. Facilitators sometimes review the cards in advance and stack them so that players are not distracted by reading ahead. Putting the most pertinent cards at the top can help engage the team quickly.

• Gather together and read out the instructions:

• Take turns to read out a card. Discuss and decide which heading to put it under. There are no right answers - rich conversations and focussed improvements are key. You don’t need to play all the cards in your first session.

• Reserve the last 10 minutes to decide as a team which is the most interesting item - the one that you all want to focus on improving next. Some teams use the dots to vote. Highlight it using the Focus target icon. Consider adding stickies showing owner, task etc.

• Discuss how you all hope this card will move across the board as you improve. Ensure that you can measure success. Consider writing a clear goal together. Agree when you will next reassess the focus item to see if you have improved. Repeat the activity above soon - you will accelerate and evolve how you use it in your context. Tweet ideas or questions to @AgileLozenge

@Laurence Wood, good morning. 
Where can I get other examples of cards?