Setting up a workshop

• 1 September 2020
  • 7 replies

I cannot find answers to the technical side of how to set up a workshop. I want to run a training session with fewer than 20 people (initially just 5 or so) - I’ve learnt how to manage all the features but when I tried it out we struggled to all see the board we were working on. I need an idiots’ guide - do I just use share? What is the presentation option for? Can I get it so when I move the board around the participants see what I’m doing (I had to keep saying, ‘It’s under that, on the left’. We were using Zoom - is that the normal way? I’m close to giving up at the moment.

7 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi

I suffer some of your frustrations - Below are some notes that may help

My attempts have also had frustrations - I ran a short event last 2 days and didn’t use miro as i’m still finding ways to get embarrassed in-front of an audience with its behaviours not being what I want to have happen - like everyone follows along - and it takes too long in a short event to invest the learning in attendees to use the tool :(

There are user/ event management features for follow-me but exactly how they behave & when they do/ don’t do intuitively what is expected is unclear

Some guidance that might help you…

If you click your own icon as board owner on a paid account you get an option to bring everyone to you. Bring to me means everyone’s screen updates to reflects yours and as you move around they do too - but they can wander off if they want to - eg posting a sticky breaks the following along bond - they can restore it by clicking your avatar at the top of the screen - they are always left most (I think, not sure if always) board owner is then second from left - There is a count on your avatar for how many people are following and when the follow-bond is broken / reinstated it updates

If you create frames then they appear in the frames menu which you can open on the left of the screen. If you click a frame the board repositions to show the frame - If other people are following you they get re positioned too

If you click the present button in the bottom toolbar then a control opens at the bottom of the screen that enables ‘convienient’ advancing through the frames in the order they are in the frames list - BUT it turns of things like showing the avatars and so disables your ability to see if people are still following or to bring folk back to you.

The ‘present control’ also has a circular ‘play’ button - which makes the display show just the frame - but it only does it on your screen not everyone else - which IMHO is backwards and daft - IF it made everyone elses just the frame i can see some sense in that  the present control also auto hides and needs a redundant click to bring back on screen

We might get some precise descriptions from both @Kiron Bondale or @Isman Tanuri 

Many thanks. I’ll keep working on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Salli WARD - Miro also has excellent resources for learning more about the topics/questions you have posted here.

1. Miro Help Center (help.miro.com) - here is an article on the Presentation Mode
  2. Miro Academy (academy.miro.com) - “Learn best practices, train your team at scale, and be confident you're getting the most out of Miro. Free with any Miro account.”  When I go to the Academy site, the second (free!) course I see is: Facilitating Virtual Workshops
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Salli WARD I don’t use Zoom sharing at all. I do get people comfortable on Miro first and then just lead them in Miro. One less tool to worry about. Takes practise but I’m sure you’ll put in effort as you find your style. You can watch how I do it here during the Miro VMUG event: https://youtu.be/5vsJDDuZehk?t=1411

You should actually watch the whole video if you’d like insights and tips from @Joshua William Davies on how to design and set boards up for the most optimal participant experience.

I now understand the presentation option is no good for all working on something. I understand all the features and how to use them but still don’t know how to set it up. Do I just share the screen (through Zoom)? Do I send a link and then we all have the page open during the presentation? There is so much assumed knowledge on the videos, etc. that it doesn’t suit me. Thanks for trying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Salli WARD,

I also wanted to share this guide with you - Miro for Workshops and Meetings. This is quite a detailed instruction on how to set up a workshop with Miro.

Userlevel 4

@Salli WARD I don’t use Zoom sharing at all. I do get people comfortable on Miro first and then just lead them in Miro. One less tool to worry about. Takes practise but I’m sure you’ll put in effort as you find your style. You can watch how I do it here during the Miro VMUG event: https://youtu.be/5vsJDDuZehk?t=1411

You should actually watch the whole video if you’d like insights and tips from @Joshua William Davies on how to design and set boards up for the most optimal participant experience.

@Isman Tanuri I really wanted to attend your short event - even though it ran from midnight to 2am for me :(   Sold out before i discovered it - and the one before - finished at the precise minute I discovered it!

Don’t s’pose you recorded it?