Music in Miro - Has anyone used Miro for musical projects?

• 25 September 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone!

First time starting a topic in the community! Hope you’re safe and well.

Has anyone used Miro for musical projects apart from embedding YouTube and Spotify? I’m curious to see if composers can work together in a board to create a group song! Wondering how we can push the limits for collaboration within a virtual workspace.

Maybe that could be a jingle or anthem for Mironeers. :sunglasses::musical_note:

8 replies

Userlevel 3

Interested in this too.

I use Ableton for everything, and wonder if I had an ableton document/folder stored on iCloud, could I “live share” it on the board - or allow an auto refresh? Imagine if a session window was playable on a board. That would be amazing… and if you could drag and drop from Miro to Ableton…. :smiley_cat:

Interested in this too.

I use Ableton for everything, and wonder if I had an ableton document/folder stored on iCloud, could I “live share” it on the board - or allow an auto refresh? Imagine if a session window was playable on a board. That would be amazing… and if you could drag and drop from Miro to Ableton…. :smiley_cat:

You could allow song structures to be exported with taggable bar-lengths + time signatures + keys perhaps, and export those as midi clips based on horizontal/vertical order in Miro perhaps? Or perhaps it’s a ‘pack’ of some kind. Interesting idea! I don’t see drag and drop being feasible but import/export perhaps - especially if it’s integrated with the Max for Live / Live Object Model somehow to incorporate plugin data changes or something.

Userlevel 1

I’m using Miro to help structure my horn concerto. Of course if direct links could be made with Sibelius that would be wonderful. The 400% magnification limit is awkward.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@LJ Glazier Just curious: Why do you think the 400% magnification limit is awkward?

Userlevel 1

@Henrik Ståhl 

I am using Miro to some extent as an outliner. So at the top level I see images representing the three movements of the concerto. Below the third movement is a substructure, which I have made the same width in total as the top-level image. I can zoom in to see themes and sequence, with some music notation to remind me. Some of these sections of music have a deeper substructure, which I can zoom in to see. Using it this way leads to the 400% limit. It seems to suffice, but in this sense the boards are not infinite.

Another issue I found is that the arrow heads and line thickness do not scale to large magnification, thus one has to be at a low magnification for these (I connect related parts of the music with these lines).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@LJ Glazier But that’s all relative, depending on your visual hierarchy? 10pt text on 400% zoom is equivalent to ∼36pt on 100% zoom:

And remember that you can zoom out all the way to >1%. At 3%, 999pt text is equivalent to 36pt on 100% zoom/10pt on 400% zoom.

So, depending on what kind of visual hierarchies you establish, 400% zoom should be more than enough.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I agree that line thickness and arrowheads not scaling is pretty annoying though.

Userlevel 1

I assume what I am using Miro for is extremely unusual. I did hit the 400% limit but made everything smaller again which enabled to continue. The arrowheads etc are still working for me and I think it will be OK. However I may be close to the limits! These pics will illustrate the issue - the first one contains whole board.

I often stretch what software does. This approach adds a third dimension, zoom level, to the horizontal and vertical.

Happily all is good and I don’t think I need to zoom any further for this piece. If so I can make another board, but it is nice to keep everything on one!