I had a chance to beta test a ‘Hide Frames’ Feature

• 16 September 2020
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I had a chance to beta test ‘Hide Frames’ a few weeks ago. I believe now it is out.

I enjoy this because it helps in my work flow as a facilitator/presenter/trainer.

If you already have it, share your thoughts!

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Isman Tanuri - Good find that it this feature is live! I was testing it too, but didn’t get much direction at the time. I see now for sure that

• it is not available for Education, Team, Consultant, Business, and Enterprise plans (sorry Free Plan users);
  • only available for board owners, even if they didn’t create the frame.

Full details have been added to the Frames help article.

Given the existing issues around leaving all teams that your Miro account profile belongs to and then getting the Miro spinner of infinity, one of my test cases was to hide a frame on a board to which I was the owner and then have someone kick me off of that team to ensure that the new board owner could unhide/show the frame again - it was a pass.

Userlevel 4

I shall have to have a play :)

1st test will be can i stack frames and reveal to create graphics of complex processes that build item by item?

Thanx for ‘revealing’ this particular secret development

It would be good to know what else is in the pipeline

I finally - yesterday I think but recently anyway - got password added to the share dialogue

Userlevel 3

I noticed the option yesterday while working with a large group. Last night I edited a template to hide some frames and brought it into the board for today’s work. This morning the feature seems to have disappeared for me, but one of the hidden frames I created is still hidden and I can’t un-hide it. So, I can’t really do anything with that hidden frame, unfortunately.

Userlevel 3

AH, a teammate created that board, while I owned the template. So dropping the template in the board makes the frame unusable for me. SO: allow all team members to hide/unhide frames, please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hidden Frames has been officially announced: Introducing the new "hide and reveal" setting for frames

@Peter Green - I suggest you add your feedback to that post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Peter Green - I meant to include a link: https://community.miro.com/changelog-discussion-31/introducing-the-new-hide-and-reveal-setting-for-frames-2005

Does it reduce lag to have frames hidden? If you have lots of annotations on a frame, for example, does hiding it keep things moving well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ryan Wagner - Good question! I just tested this and am finding that, yes, performance is improved when the frames are hidden as the objects do not appear to render on the board until after you show the frame again. Have a look:

@Robert Johnson Awesome! An honor to grace the board at the same time as you. This is a great feature, better than I thought it might be.

@Robert Johnson I also did not realize that you could create a link that took you directly to the app and not to a browser...another win.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

And I noticed that the objects do appear to be rendering in the board map:

But the performance is still much improved when the frames are hidden.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson I also did not realize that you could create a link that took you directly to the app and not to a browser...another win.

@Ryan Wagner - Wait, did you just click a Miro board link in a browser, but it opened in the desktop app?!

@Robert Johnson I guess that is how the improved speed would be gained, then? This definitely suits my needs. When my many, many .pdfs are all marked up, that’s when the glitches happen, and I wanted to find a way to not have to babysit the board and constantly export individual frames in order to keep the markups...

@Robert Johnson 

@Ryan Wagner - Wait, did you just click a Miro board link in a browser, but it opened in the desktop app?!

I did indeed. Took me by surprise. I noticed the link says “/app” in the url, which may make the difference. If this is a consistent possibility, it is more great news.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here’s an animation of 6,000 sticky notes loading in while in hidden frames:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am 99% sure that all boards would have “/app/” in the URL as does “app” is at the root of the application, e.g.:
https://miro.com/app/dashboard/

https://miro.com/app/settings/

@Robert Johnson Ah, then I don’t know how/why it worked that way…but it was pretty great.