Best way to execute a card-sort session for individual results

• 11 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to Miro and I’m a bit stuck with something. Hoping that a Miro Hero can come to my rescue.

I’m working on an internal help centre for our support team (20 members) and need to create categories for around 200 articles. I want the support team to create the categories and sort the articles via card-sorting.

I’ve set up a Kanban board with 45 cards (article titles) and columns for groups. I’m pretty happy with the board so I’m ready to share it with the participants to start getting their input.

Here’s where I’m stuck.

I need help with understanding the best way to share my Miro board for card-sorting so that each participant has their own version to work on. 

I want them to sort the cards (articles) and name the groups individually and independently of each other.

How can I do this?

Is the only way to create duplicate boards for each participant or is there are more sophisticated way?

I’ve been searching for 2 days, so please let me know if you have the steps or links to an article on how to do this, or what the best solution is, would be so much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rich Andersen - re:

"I want them to sort the cards (articles) and name the groups individually and independently of each other."

Depending on your definition of "individually and independently" in this situation, there are a number of options.

If you are okay with the support team members being able to see what the others are doing, you could just copy-and-paste your Kanban setup into 20 frames, naming each frame with a support team members name. And then you could even set the board's start location to a location in the board with a bunch of sticky notes that also have the support team members name, linking those stickies to their frame. Now they could individually work on their set of cards.

However, if you do not want each team member to see the others work, you will need to create a board for each team member. As for the best way to do this, I would suggest using the board Duplication feature. You could also create a Custom Template of your Kanban, but this ultimately leads toore steps on your part as you have to first create a new board and them add that template to the board - duplicatimg a board is only one step.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Robert Johnson , Thanks for the clarification. 

Do we know if there’s a tool that can process/analyse the results from each participant’s card sorting, or is the only way to manually analyse each board - same as how we’d do it with real sticky-notes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rich Andersen - There are currently no analysis tools built into Miro, but you could export the cards as CSV and analyze the data in a tool like Excel.

Here’s my test card. The title text is a link to https://google.com:

The export results:

Oh, and you could use Clusterizer to create an infinity-cluster of the cards, which will join cards by their tags:

Userlevel 2

Oh that’s cool. I read about the clusterizer but didn’t know about the infinity cluster. That looks like a gem. I also actually hadn’t thought of using trusty xl either.

Huge help!

Thanks @Robert Johnson 

@Rich Andersen Your post was a couple of years ago, but I am curious how you ended you ended up executing your card sort? I want to avoid participants seeing one another’s sorts while simultaneously making analysis as easy as possible.