Connection Lines : Add a 'jump' for lines that cross

Related products: Mapping & Diagramming

In Visio if I have a connection line that crosses another connection line, it automatically adds a little ‘jump’ to show the line direction.

This is a screen grab of a ‘jump’ in the Visio Software.
You can see one connecting line jumps over another.
In Miro this is would just show as two lines crossing, making it slightly harder to read.

This is a very useful feature on complex diagrams.

On Draw.io you can aslo pick the style and size of the jump

This is more than just useful. Line jumps are absolutely essential in all sorts of diagrams which show directional flow, such as systems architecture diagrams. This functionality is in most other diagramming tools including Visio, Lucid, Draw.io, and more.

really important feature.. would love to see this..

Line jumps are essential for directional flow, like @Phil Husbands stated. Please get this feature added, it’s so necessary!

Imperative feature for process designers. I’ve gone back to draw.io to complete our more advanced processes.  

would be good to see this and the ability to space lines out automatically so they don’t join together

this is so important to network diagrams …. without this, the level of ambiguity in any non-trivial diagram is too high to be useful. It will absolutely drive me back to other tools. 

This seems to be a duplicate of https://community.miro.com/ideas/visual-treatment-for-when-connector-lines-overlap-and-need-to-hop-2240

Miro Team! Please do this. It would be a fantastic addition to the tool, and is very much needed.

Complex diagrams are very hard to read without it.

Work arounds are fine, but if you want to move sections of the diagrams those work arounds don’t automatically adjust so you have to manually correct many line-jumps. 

I agree with the above comments on this being an essential feature.

Until it’s implemented, I managed to hack my way through in an ugly way (circle + rectangle)

Please add this functionality as soon as possible. It’s “table-stakes” for any modern diagraming software. Thank you!

Thanks for the prompt on this topic Sherrard, I've already had to switch to draw.io for some of my modelling... no other choice without the jump lines! 

Really believe this should be in the diagramming, it’s a fundamental for ensuring diagrams and process maps are clear, concise and don’t cause confusion. Really annoying that it is not present and requires a duplication in tools as we have to switch to Visio that Miro could otherwise cover.

it’s a small detail, but this feature would make Miro a viable tool in my workplace. Without it my audience gets too distracted, requiring me to go back to draw.io, which is, in my humble opinion, substantially less usable.  You’ve got this folks! thanks!

Noting that I saw this today, though it appears to do nothing

It’s here! Thank you for your reply, Ian. I immediately went to check it out. Selecting ‘line jump’ did nothing when I already had the line drawn. HOWEVER, if I selected ‘line jump’ to make it active before drawing the line, IT WORKED! 

Line jumps have officially been announced and should be available to all users.

Connection Lines Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730733#01H7YSSA7N8RNRCC1D5K60E3PQ

What’s New Talktrack recording:

https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVMmdAZzg=/?playRecording=c59c0403-3d7e-428b-ae66-29626d48cd4a

I am so happy to see this feature in Miro. 👍
Thanks a lot!

For thin lines it works great.

But for thick lines, there is room for improvement.

IdeaDelivered

I am so happy to see this feature in Miro. 👍
Thanks a lot!

For thin lines it works great.

But for thick lines, there is room for improvement.

I agree - the line jump for thick lines needs to be larger.