Skip to main content

I think the title is fairly self-explanatory. I’d like for anonymous board editors to be able to rename themselves on entry into a board through a shared link. Name assignment only needs to be stable for the duration of the access to the board. Think Zoom where users can assign themselves a name on the fly for the duration of a meeting.

This is especially important for collaborative work on white boards in larger groups. I work in a nonprofit that regularly convenes partner organization and we routinely have groups of 40-60 people in virtual meetings now. Not being able to distinguish who “Anonymous Bear” is compared to “Anonymous Owl” is extremely confusing (and getting them all paid users is not practical as well as cost-prohibitive). I know Mural is working on this feature for release in the upcoming weeks and it would be extremely valuable.

Miro is the best within all the competitors.

However, I have to say this function is the second biggest weakness of Miro in comparison with Mural.

This first is the flexibility of permission controls but won’t be that easy to change.

This should be easy enough. 

Seems to be implemented now. 

Seems to be implemented now. 

Had it for a day and now it’s gone. Are you Miro folks doing some A/B (if so, would be nice to still have to option after already seeing it 😛 ) or just mistake / rollback?

Also had this for a day or two then lost it. Frustrating as I had just started using Miro for precisely this function too!

@all:

It’s there again:

Michael

As  the school’s Innovation Champion, I am actively promoting the use of Miro amongst teachers. I did a quick user testing amongst few colleagues if they prefer Miro or Mural and most chose Miro. It’s great for team meetings/collaborations/workshops.

I would like to expand its use and include it in my lessons. However, I had issues with students being anonymous and I ended up cutting the session short as it was kinda getting out of control with the non-stop scribbling.

I liked that Miro has added the feature “Guests can add name”. However, some “cheeky” students will leave it blank and therefore, remain anonymous to vandalize the boards and disrupt the flow of lesson frequently because they are able to hide behind the “anonymity”.

Suggestion:

** To the good folks at Miro, can I suggest/request that you guys add a feature that allows board owners to change the names of guests (like Zoom) as it will really encourage more teachers to come on board and use Miro in their classes when managing student on Miro would be made much easier!

Thank you!

@Sebastian Schreiner -

The current workaround is to have a simple mapping list in the Notes panel or somewhere on the board itself mapping the anonymous names to the “real names”. That way, folks can consult it whenever they want to know who someone is…

Kiron

In groups with 30 anonymous board editors, several board editors had the SAME nickname… 

@Maria Steger :

This times are over now - and if so right in the beginning of a seminar:

Each person with the same name should decide to go to a special place onto the board and then after it’s clear where my profile person is I will change my name …

Michael

@Maria Steger:

This times are over now - and if so right in the beginning of a seminar:

Each person with the same name should decide to go to a special place onto the board and then after it’s clear where my profile person is I will change my name …

Michael

We had it again this morning: several people with the same name.

@Maria Steger:

Yes - Have yout tried the workaround I mentioned above till a solution is found - could you imagine next time you get the same thing to try it with this workaround?

Michael

@Maria Steger:

Yes - Have yout tried the workaround I mentioned above till a solution is found - could you imagine next time you get the same thing to try it with this workaround?

Michael

To be honest, we are considering not using Miro till a) external users can rename themselves, and b) Miro introduced nested frames. [OT: There are 220 votes on the wish and I haven’t seen an ETA or even a comment on whether or not it’s on the roadmap: Layers / Frames within Frames | Miro].

The workaround does not work for us.

@Maria Steger:

Ok - I see:

For your first point a) You are able to rename yourself as user it’s already a feature that is there:
If you follow the numbers in the graphic you can do this:

For b) I have no idea what miro is working on just the same like you.

But one thing is sure: Miro is working on it - in the past

they delivered our wishes:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32?filter%5Bidea_status%5D=Delivered&sort=votes.desc

Ok I understand your frustration - I know you need this perhaps urgently … but the past has shown they are working and still working that features and wishes placed by us here will hopefully make it into miro -

Best

Michael

@Maria Steger:

Ok - I see:

For your first point a) You are able to rename yourself as user it’s already a feature that is there:

Best

Michael

But unregistered guests can’t “change” their name, can they?

@Maria Steger :

They can :

Just follow with a testboard the graphical advice you have seen and follow the numbers.

Now open your Board in a second Browser only with the link without logging into your Account:

This is what you’re gonna see as an Guest:

You can always change your name by clicking on this:

Just try it - it’s working:

Michael

I am on a Miro Education plan. I did what you suggested. It doesn’t work (maybe due to limitations of the education plan?).

There is no “guest editing” dialogue.

And the only “sharing setting” in the corresponding window that I get in the tab “permissions” is: “Who can copy board content”.

@Maria Steger - Please note that the feature @mlanders is referring to is still in beta testing and not available to all users.

Hello,

I have a question regarding this beta feature. Is there a possibility as an admin to activate that in the settings section if the beta feature for names had not been offered to use? 

I’m a registered member in two accounts (one is consultant, one is business plan) and I would love to introduce the names feature to my colleagues who are using the business plan. In my personal consultant account, I have the name beta feature and I’m very happy to use it.

Is there a chance to contact someone from Miro to activate the beta feature for a specific account, if there is no chance to activate the feature on your own in the settings section?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Kaan

I have the same request as @Kaan Sanli - can I have access to this beta feature? We are on the enterprise plan.

I am the Miro champion in our organization and helping our CTO use Miro to facilitate his workshop. This will really help Miro make inroads in our company.

@all:

It’s there again:

Michael

@mlanders How come I cannot see this?

This is all I see:

Is there any update on how this beta is progressing? We’re really really keen to see this implemented in our enterprise account ASAP.

Is there any update on how this beta is progressing? We’re really really keen to see this implemented in our enterprise account ASAP.

Same here.

So I don’t know if this was always there or recently added, but I just did it.

1. Click the Share button and then open Sharing Settings (its a link at the bottom of the modal). 
  2. In Sharing Settings, go to the Permissions tab
  3. In Permissions, change “Adding Guest Names if the Board is Public” to “Guests can add their names”

Seems to work for me! 

@CharlieE - This Wish List post has been tagged as BETA, so your Miro profile/team was likely added to the beta group.

I have this feature in my company’s team account, but would really like it in my educational account. How do I get it added there?

When collaborating with users that don’t have an account, it is confusing and distracting to see them only listed as “Visiting Thinker”, etc…  Visitors should have the ability to simply edit their cursor to display their name so that we can see/know who is contributing to a board or making comments.

Being able to address people by name is fundamental to running a good workshop and should be a built-in feature.