Question

How I can import visualization in miro from Google Sheets and/or Excel?

• 20 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Hey Friends,
I am creating data visualizations on different domain data.

Normally I am using Google Sheets for No Code add-on for this purpose.

I have more knowledge about Excel & Office 365 use code free add-in for data visualization purpose.

Recently created Sankey chart (Users Search Terms Flow in running campaign) with these add-ins. Image is attached. 

How I can import this chart in miro for data story telling purpose.

Thanks
--CF 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Charles Friedo

Love what you’re up to. Sankey might be my favorite of all charts! 

Sadly at this moment…You can only import the Sankey as an image. Not as data in any useful way.

Furthermore, if you recreate a Sankey manually in Miro—  you’ll find yourself immediately disappointed that Miro has very limited line thicknesses( only a small set, and they increment in doubling steps (so you’ll have more inherent accuracy compromises).

If you keep your manually-created Sankey very small and make the accuracy compromises due to line thickness steps, you can get the lines to almost match the sizes of the boxes… but at that size, you’re so small that text sizes become an issue (you now go smaller in text sizes than the default minimum of 10). I’ll find my self in a Sankey that small dealing with size 4 or less text.
—> If it weren’t for these inherent line thickness limitations, I would have built a Miro plugin for Sankey import/live update long ago. 

Some Sankey lovers enjoy line colors that gradient from target color to source color… also not abailable in Miro currently.    

I have, on occasion, sped up the manual creation process by bringing in the Sankey as an image. Lock it. Then trace over it with lines and shapes.  

I suppose you could bring the Sankey in as an iFrame and also embed the Google sheet in Miro also - which can be live updated without leaving the Miro board - which is awesome ….  But the iFrame of the Sankey (assuming it’s live updated from changes made from its source Google sheet) will be quarantined in a lightbox (iframe just sits there on the board with no image just a big play button until, on click, board background gets a dark overlay and the iFrame is displayed alone with the refreshed image from that iFrame target site) which really isn’t much different than traveling to another web page…so as a Miro feature, I’ve found in the user community, it tends to disappoint more often than delight.  But— this arrangement could give people a sandbox of  traceable links, to tinker with 1 or more Sankeys from 1 or more sources all from 1 board. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Charles Friedo

Here’s some examples of ‘manually created’ Sankey. And some of the issues with it highlighted. 

Line thickness maximum. :cry:

Text under the default minimum of 10 -- meaning you have to create size with a corner drag resize of text element. Not that much of an issue - but kind of an issue when you try to resize a bunch of text at once...

--

Here we’ve got a decent looking Sankey in Miro. But what happens when we scale it

Scale down? 

Scale up? 

YIKES !

. . .

So… ya, the whole enterprise of data-precise Sankey in Miro is pretty fraught at the moment and limited to small window of solutions, mostly for 1 off artifact creation, premade, for presentation purposes. 

To that point, I generally end up building out a lot of sankey/flow iterations into samples/scenarios/stages, etc. -- manually making them tidy with lots of designery fiddling, and then stacking them into presentations in a Miro board, whereby the story of the data or the system can be brought to life… but I’d love for this to be, like you’re alluding to, much more automatic, real-time, for data story telling purposes. 

Here’s a board I’m working on for a project-finance client now. 

Note the compromise away from a precise Sankey to just a scale-relative line scheme. 

--
Another tool I’ve used for demo, education and exploration in the past for fast real-time edits and SVG export of a Sankey is Sankey-matic: its got a host of other limitations, but its fast and simple. 

Cheers,

Max