Can I make a Miro template, embed it in a website, let people edit the board and save it locally, without changing the original template?

• 22 November 2021
  • 17 replies

I am making a Learning Management System, E-learning platform. I need to embed a Miro board with some exercises for my users. I need to give them the possibility of editing the board and possibly save it on their computers. At the same time, I need the original Miro board to remain untouched for the other users that will access it. 

Is it possible?

17 replies

Badge

same question here!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mirco Ferrara & @FrenchSoEasy -

Now that links to templates can be shared, why not create a shared, custom template from the board and then share the template link with your users?

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale Thanks for your reply. 

That is what I tried but it does not solve my needs. I need the user to access my embedded template, work on it, save it locally, without modifying the original template. Basically the user needs to automatically get access to a cloned version of the master template. Hope that clarifies what I am trying to achieve. :-)

Badge

Solves mine! Thanks

Badge

@Kiron Bondale Thanks for your reply. 

That is what I tried but it does not solve my needs. I need the user to access my embedded template, work on it, save it locally, without modifying the original template. Basically the user needs to automatically get access to a cloned version of the master template. Hope that clarifies what I am trying to achieve. :-)

I guess this is exactly what will happen ? You share the link, but each user modifies it as he needs ?

Userlevel 5

Hi Mirco! We unfortunately don’t have something like this at the moment, but I can definitely see valid use-cases for this. That being said, we’re taking a look at some missing features like these at the moment, and might have something that would work for your use-case in the future. 

Once we do, I’ll make sure to come back and let you know! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mirco Ferrara -

Sorry if my response wasn’t clear. What I meant was that users could create a new board using the template and then modify that board as needed without there being any changes to the template itself.

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Mirco Ferrara,

Try this:

1. Share the template link with your audience
  2. Ask them to click on Use Template. This will create a new board where the template was applied. This will not modify the original custom template.
  3. Voilà!

I hope this helps.

Badge

It doesn’t seem to work

I can not share the template that I’ve edited delete :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Personally, I prefer using boards as templates - not “Custom Templates”. In doing so, I have more flexibility in sharing.

Here is a post where I have outlined this strategy, along with a few  caveats:

https://community.miro.com/peer-support-45/handing-over-a-board-to-a-client-5661?postid=23726#post23726

Badge

Yes, but I must be sure that the client will not modify the original template, just his copy. So the other client , after clickig on the link, will see the original template without the prevouse client’s modifications. 

The custom Templates seem to solve this problem, but I cannot share the link. maybe it’s my pricing plan? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@FrenchSoEasy - You can set a board’s share setting so that it can be “View only”. Then, when the client/recipient opens the board, they cannot modify it, but they can Duplicate the board to their own account at which point they are the owner of the duplicate.

Try it by opening this board that is in my account in view only:

1. you send the recipient a link to the board
  2. they open it and click on the board name and use the Duplicate action:

Try it now if you’d like using a board I created for the Miroverse:

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_kl4Sue4=/

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

A board in ANY plan type can share a board this way, including Free Plan users. Again, though, the caveats being:

1. If you are on the Enterprise Plan, the Sharing Policy must be configured to allow for public board sharing - you’ll know right away if it’s not if if you don’t have the Anyone with the link option.
  2. This method uses the Board Content Settings feature, which is only available to the board owner, and may need to be enabled for non-team member sharing by a Team Admin of your Miro plan.
Badge

Great! It’s a solution, thanks. So, If I undestand well, the custom templated have no “share” links?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Great! It’s a solution, thanks. So, If I undestand well, the custom templated have no “share” links?

The issue here is that you saved the template as a “Personal” template, so Miro is protecting you from sharing it with anyone:

You can change it to “Shared with the team” by editing it and clicking on the title/name:

Hi Mirco! We unfortunately don’t have something like this at the moment, but I can definitely see valid use-cases for this. That being said, we’re taking a look at some missing features like these at the moment, and might have something that would work for your use-case in the future. 

Once we do, I’ll make sure to come back and let you know! 

Hey Addison, 

Great to hear. Yeah, there are ways to solve it right now, but they’re too tricky for my user group which is not a tech savvy one.