Working with Tables...can't merge cells

• 12 July 2022
  • 4 replies

So, I’m working with Miro’s gannt chart template and trying to extend the columns, which contain a merged top header row.  Yesterday the challenge was being able to resize the columns, finally discovered that it only works if you’re zoomed in to a certain degree.  Now I’m trying to select the top header row so that I can get the menu icon merge the cells, like I did for “Fiscal July - P8”.  It worked once by magic for that first section of the table, but now it’s impossible no matter how I click / which mode I cycle to.

Anyone know what to do?…  thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Miroslav Vida - Hey. Me again :) I also found this a bit tricky as when I get too many columns, and need to zoom out, I end up losing the ability to select individual cells (instead the whole table is selected) - again, the zoom issue you mentioned.

I finally got it to work by selecting the first cell, and then holding the Shift key and using the right arrow key to select all of the cells I wanted, and then finally I used the merge cells action:

Thank you for the response @Robert Johnson - where I’m falling down is on the initial selection of the column.  I’m trying like crazy but can’t select it such that shift + right really does anything.

If I select it such that I get the | indicator and can now type in the cell, I assume that’s not the right mode?  Because that doesn’t work.  But if I try it without getting into type mode… it also doesn’t work…

How do you “select” that first one such that you can then do the shift + right?

And perhaps part of the problem is that I’m again not even using a regular table, but Miro’s proposed Gantt Chart template.. it doesn’t seem to entirely behave like a regular table does.

One more update.. I finally gave up and just created a new table using gantt template and this time did the column adds and header merging first thing - this time it worked.  But I still have no idea why it can’t work on the original table, still have it there and try to replicate by can’t.  And now after building out the second table, for whatever reason I again can’t do it if I wanted to add even more columns.  I’m left to conclude that there is some sort of a bug in this where it gets corrupted at some point after the thing grows too large. 

Happy to even share my file if that helps..

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Miroslav Vida 

How do you “select” that first one such that you can then do the shift + right?

I am using a mouse, so I just single left-click on a cell and then hold down Shift key and left-click another cell and then the second one I clicked and all in between are selected - I also did this using my trackpad.

And, holding Ctrl instead of Shift allows for single multi-selecting.