Work + personal accounts miraculously merged and I lost access to all my personal boards

I’ve been using Miro on my personal account for a while and I had a few boards I’d been working on - for a long time, which I really didn’t want to lose.

Somehow, yesterday, I realised my personal boards were now part of the Primary team at work - I have no idea how my personal things got there. 

I tried moving them, but I’m not the owner of the boards 😱 Even as a team admin, I can’t move them back to my personal team of myself only! Nor delete them! And now everyone at my work has access to privileged info from other companies.

HELP!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@mmerces - A few questions:

1. How many Miro accounts do you have?
  2. How many Teams/workspaces is your Miro account profile associated with? E.g.:
  3. What plan type is your personal team (Free, Team, Consultant?)
  4. What plan type is your work/employers team?

A few possibility is that you created the boards in the wrong team and then a Team Admin of that team deleted and re-added you, which would lead to your no longer being the team admin.

Ask the current board owner to transfer ownership of the board back to you

You should be able to find the current board owner from the dashboard where the board resides, or from the Board Details screen:

You could ask the current owner of the board to transfer ownership back to you. Then you could move the board back to where it belongs.

Forcing an ownership change

If you are a Team Admin of the plan/team where the boards now reside, and depending on the plan type, you could delete the current owner from the team (selecting yourself as the new owner in the process) and then add the old user back.

NOTE: Doing this would mean that the deleted user would lose ownership of ALL boards they owned (and Projects and Custom Templates, if it is a paid plan). You would then want to assume responsibility for this action by transferring ownership of this content back to the original owner.

Hey Robert,

Thanks for replying!

So…

1. two accounts: one personal and a new one with the company
    2. three teams in my personal one - one of these was the one where my personal stuff was but it’s now merged with my work/teams’s stuff - and the work one has access to nothing 😅
    3 & 4. all are free

I asked the current owner to transfer it back to me, but he says he can’t even see them! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@mmerces - Thanks for confirming. 

If the current owner cannot see them, you could just send a link for each board to the current owner and have them open the board and have them change ownership that way.

Here are the steps (you could forward this post to them):

1. Open the board
  2. Click on Share
  3. Enter your email address
  4. Set permissions to Can edit:
  5. Then they would go back into Share and Sharing settings (no need to wait for any invitations to be accepted):
  6. And then make you the owner: