Why is Miro reordering my sticky notes?

• 28 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi, all,

I’ve been using horizontal lists of sticky notes when ordering items.

However, when I step away from Miro and then return, the sticky notes have been reordered (ex: the bottom sticky note is now at the top). I did nothing to request this. When I put the sticky notes back into their correct order, Miro will move them around again when I exit the screen and return. 

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it from happening?

I’m on a MacBook Pro running Big Sur. 

Thanks. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mark Keizer -

Are you using the Miro desktop app or accessing it via a web browser? Does the change happen right away (i.e. if you rearrange the notes and then go back to the Miro dashboard and then re-enter the board are they already mis-arranged)? Can you record a video of this behavior using Loom or something similar and post it here?

Kiron

Thanks for getting back to me.

I downloaded the desktop app.

It definitely reorders the sticky notes when I quit the app and then reload the app.

For testing purposes, I just correctly ordered everything, quit the app, relaunched the app and my sticky notes are now out of order again.

Regarding a movie, some of the info is private, so I can’t, although I totally get why that would help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mark Keizer - As Kiron mentioned--and you get--a video can really help as we have very little context as to your board set up. While you can’t share a video of the current board due to privacy concerns, perhaps you can create a new board an see if the issue is happening there and share a screen recording of that board. Or perhaps even a few screenshots with private information redacted/blurred/etc.

Also, without knowing how things are set up, I will have to made a number of assumptions:

• ‘horizontal lists of sticky notes’ - are these Sticky Notes just on a blank spot on the board and are horizontally alighted, or are they in a Frame?
    • If they are in a Frame, is Grid mode enabled?
      Grid_on_Miro_frames.gif
  • Does anyone else have access to this board?
    • If so, Have you checked the Activity List to ensure that no one else has moved your sticky notes?

Example: I created this board and added four sticky notes:

Then I signed in as another team member and moved one of them:

Thanks for getting back to me.

Only I have control over the sticky notes. No one else is allowed to adjust, add or delete them.

Below are before and after photos. Miro will, upon exiting the program or even letting it sit in the background unattended for 30 minutes and without any input or desire from me, change the horizontal order of the sticky notes. And I can’t make it stop. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mark Keizer - Is Grid mode turned on for the frame in which all of your objects are?

Grid Mode is turned on.

In fact, I just went into every frame of my document, re-turned on Grid Mode, then exited the program. 

When I re-entered the program, some of the sticky notes were reordered. 

It may have something to do with how the frames were originally entered, back when this board was created. I didn't do that part. I jumped in after the board was already created. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mark Keizer - I have found Grid mode to be more effort than it’s worth to keep objects arranged the way I want. Now I use them sparingly, for short, vertical lists:

The majority of my lists are exactly as you describe and exactly as your photo shows: they are short vertical lists of the length in your photo. Are you saying I should do the list in Freeform Mode not Grid Mode to avoid having my short, vertical lists be moved around?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mark Keizer - Since this happens in the desktop app and a browser, we’ll rule out the browser and any possible browser extensions.

The two other static variables are:

1. Your OS.
  2. The team where the board is located.

Do you have any custom web-plugins installed for the team where this board resides? Perhaps one of those is causing this behaviour.

You should be able to see installed by clicking on the Team profile settings button:

And then Apps & Integrations.

Custom web-plugins/apps that are not officially listed in Miro’s Marketplace will generally have a blue, three-sided box icon like the following: