Web page links (open graph) don't show link previews any more?

• 15 December 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

Previously in Miro, when pasting a website link, Miro would grab preview information from the page and display this in a small box panel.

Discussed in this thread:

When you paste a website in Miro, what determines the information displayed. | Miro

However now, when I paste a link, the preview is not created any more. The link just displays as a plain text only hyperlink.

Why did the previews stop working? These were great for research, collecting links and URLs, etc. It is much harder to organise and visualise the text only links.

Can this automatic functionality be restored? I don’t want to have to manually take screenshots of each site. Also the description and image pulled through was better than a screenshot.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Meirion Williams -

I just tried it and it is still working for me (see below). I’m on a Windows 10 laptop using Google Chrome. Can you try this from a different browser or using incognito mode?

Kiron

Userlevel 1

OK I looked into it some more.

It depends which browser the link is copied from, not which browser it is pasted into.

Tested on Mac 10.15.7

Link copied from Pasted into Miro gives...
Safari Full link preview
Brave Full link preview
Edge Text link only
Chrome Full link preview

So there's something going wrong with copying links from Microsoft Edge. Shame as that’s the browser I’m using for work!

Can this be created as a bug report?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Meirion Williams "It depends which browser the link is copied from.”

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this sentence, but it sounds pretty weird to me? A URL remains the exact same regardless of browser. Unless some sort of URL parameter is added in Edge for some reason?

Also, what do you mean by “copied from”? Do you mean you copy the URL from Edge and then paste it into the desktop app?

Userlevel 1

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

If the URL is copied from the Edge address bar and then pasted into Miro (Miro can be in any browser, or the desktop Miro app), the link preview does not show.

What you have said got me thinking, and I have identified and fixed the issue now.

It’s a setting in Edge, which creates a link snippet when copying a URL. It’s a feature called ‘Link Format’. 
Turning this off, setting it to ‘Plain text’ restores the Miro link preview functionality. Happy days 😀 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Meirion Williams Nice that you fixed it! 😀 That's one of the weirdest features I've ever seen. I mean, why on earth would you want to paste a URL as a hyperlinked title instead of as a web address?? Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft, when will you ever learn… 😂🤦‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here it is with the feature ON and then OFF:

This is convenient in our organization when pasting Jira issue links as we see the title/summary of the issue instead of an issue ID.

Userlevel 1

I can see that it can have some benefits, like you say Robert when pasting into Jira, but it was so confusing because normally it’s the tool you paste into that handles resolving the links.

For instance this explains why pasting links into Teams lately has broken the link preview functionality for me!

it’s a feature I’m happy to live without.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Robert Johnson @Meirion Williams Looks like what some websites (mostly e-com and news sites) started doing 10-15 years ago, to promote their sites when people shared content. I would be furious if that sort of thing was default on all URLs I copied 😂

Userlevel 1

Oh crikey yes, adding all sorts of credits to content you copied. That was so rude

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I agree, @Meirion Williams - the destination application should handle solving these links, if you want it too. It is rude of MS to force these actions upon users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Robert Johnson @Meirion Williams Veeery typical MS thing to do though. And yes, I'm biased – been an Apple loyalist for many years. (I actually hated MS long before becoming an Apple freak though 😇)

If the URL is copied from the Edge address bar and then pasted into Miro (Miro can be in any browser, or the desktop Miro app), the link preview does not show.

What you have said got me thinking, and I have identified and fixed the issue now.

It’s a setting in Edge, which creates a link snippet when copying a URL. It’s a feature called ‘Link Format’. 
Turning this off, setting it to ‘Plain text’ restores the Miro link preview functionality. Happy days 😀 

Perfect, thank you, I spent too long trying to work this out before searching for the answer.

I never wanted that Edge setting in the first place.  Thank you :) 

Userlevel 1

For me it doesn’t work anymore, not in Chrome, not in Edge…

Hi Community!

Fortunately the website preview works for me (Chrome on MacBook Pro)

However, when copy-pasting LinkedIn URLs, which some weeks ago still used to create beautiful Preview-Tiles incl. a person’s profile Picture do not work anymore. Maybe this problem is related to the issues described here. I would be grateful for any hint about how to resolve this!

cheers and thanks in advance! :)

OMG!!! Thank you so much for this. I was going crazy

This has just happened to me in the middle of creating a board. I was generating previews but now it’s just links? I am using Edge, but it’s not because of the share/copy/paste selection. It was selected to plain text, and I’ve cleared my cache and reset everything, but it’s still just links. It was literally working 30 mins ago!

This has also just happened for me. I am using Chrome, some links appear as previews, but for others I get a message that content can’t be loaded and they appear as just links. It seems to be dependent on the url I’m copying but I’ve no idea why.

This has also just happened for me. I am using Chrome, some links appear as previews, but for others I get a message that content can’t be loaded and they appear as just links. It seems to be dependent on the url I’m copying but I’ve no idea why.

I am having the same issue. It’s driving me crazy! I tried different URL’s and some work, some don’t :(

I’ve tried every browser and even the Windows App. Changed the setting in Edge too! Still nothing is working right. The same URL that shows up as a preview properly shows as a preview in all browsers and App. And the same happens with just the links.