Upgraded to a paid plan and now all my collaborators cannot edit the boards

• 25 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Last week I upgraded to a paid Starter plan and the collaborators I had working on time-sensitive projects across 3 boards are now alerting me that they cannot edit the boards anymore. I have checked their status and that of the boards. - and have even received an email saying I have 12 active guests that can edit (but they cannot). What’s going on?

Do I need to delete them from the board and then send a public link so they are a “visitor” - is this the proper way to share a board with a collaborator without making them a paid team member?

Am I forced to upgrade to Business so they can edit the boards once again as a “Guest”?

What is the difference between a Guest and a Visitor?  

Does a board being “public” or “private” make any difference in this issue?

At what point will I be forced to make Guests or Visitors paid Team Members?

Lots of question and all the articles, emails and pop-up boxes on the platform contradict one another and confuse me.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Gina LaMotte - The Guests feature is not available on the Starter plan:

You may see users on your “Team users” page that show a Role of “Guest” (with a license of “Free”) but on the Starter plan, Guests can only View or Comment on boards.

Unless you want to upgrade to the Business Plan or add the users as paid team members, you will need to use the Visitors feature.

Guest vs. Visitor

Visitor

• No Miro account required from the visitor
  • Board is set to “public”, i.e., “Anyone with the link”
  • Only one type of access for all visitors, e.g., View, Comment, Edit

• Miro account required
  • Board does not have to be set to “public”
  • Access can be set per user, e.g., Bob needs to edit the board, but Sally only needs to View it.

Note:

• “public” doesn’t mean that the board is published for anyone on the internet to find.
  • “Private” can mean that only you can see the board and not any other team members, e.g., you set the board’s “Team” sharing permissions to “No access”. Now no other team member would see the board (unless you had the board in a project that you gave another team member(s) access to. In this scenario, project permissions override board permissions.

Thank you Robert! 

I have sent the “visitor link” to my collaborators to see if this gave them access to edit, but it did not work. Do you think I need to remove/deactivate them as a guest and then send them the visitor link?

As I side note, they all have Miro free accounts already (independent of our projects) - so they have a long-standing profile with Miro.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Gina LaMotte 

I have sent the “visitor link” to my collaborators to see if this gave them access to edit, but it did not work. Do you think I need to remove/deactivate them as a guest and then send them the visitor link?

I just tested this scenario, and the board being set to “Anyone with the access → Can edit” overrode the fact that I added the visitor to the board with View only access, so you should be fine :)