Answered

Sharing Boards

• 17 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I had two FREE accounts with Miro (one personal and one business).  I recently shared all the boards from my “personal” account (as I couldn’t just share an individual board) with my work colleagues for them to look at.  They accessed it by logging into our FREE ‘business’ account.  Unfortunately, the three boards from my personal account then replaced the three boards that were already there in the business account as you are only allowed a maximum of three boards.  I had expected them to be able to view my personal board without that happening and now important work we had previously created collaboratively in our “business” account has been lost.  Why is this and can that work ever be recovered?  We would love to upgrade to a paid plan and have more than 3 boards but our management won’t give us sign off and are insisting we use Microsoft Whiteboard instead which is woefully inadequate and nowhere near as good as Miro!!  My colleagues are now reluctant to use Miro at all (even the FREE business account) as they are worried that their hard work will just disappear if Miro arbitrarily deletes it because someone in the team views another set of boards someone has shared with them!  There must be a way around this.  Can you invite people to just view your board on a FREE account?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 17 December 2020, 15:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nigel Halliwell - When you say that you have “two FREE accounts”, I will take this as you signed up for Miro using both your personal and a work email address.

You can share a board from a Free Plan team for view only by setting the Anyone with the link setting to Can view and then sending a link:

It sounds like you sent the link and granted access to all requesters to be members on your team. I would suggest going into your Team profile settings and deleting everyone from the team:

Also, my future advice is that, if you want to have more control over who can access your work Free Plan team, you go into the Free Plan that you created with your work email and make the appropriate changes here:

And I would suggest that you let your coworkers know that they can create their own Free Plan team, but that they should NOT try to join another team during the sign-up process. instead, they should use the Create a new team option:

Now they will have their own team (I suggest they call it “Team [first name or initials]”).

As for boards you are saying were “lost”, were they deleted? What do you see in your Miro dashboard? E.g.,  here’s my Free Plan team dashboard:

Thanks @Robert Johnson for such a comprehensive reply.  I think I must have made a real hash of this.  As a team we had created a FREE account using our work email addresses and used it initially in a collaborative fashion for team stuff as we tried to work out how we were going to work together when we were no longer in the office but working remotely because of Covid-19.

It was around that time that we were told we had to use Microsoft Whiteboard (which was a huge come-down after Miro) and so team usage dropped off.  After this I created a second FREE account using my personal email address so I could use it for a number of different design, mapping and time management uses.

I recently created some great stuff I wanted to share with my team on, what I thought was, our team account.  I recently shared this with the other team members using the Share button and pasting the link into an email.  However, I think I may have inadvertently created the boards on our team account instead because when I logged off the team account and back onto my personal account, there was nothing there apart from a few early musings from mid-November!

The information you have provided above is really useful going forward and I will use the “Anyone with the link can view” option instead.  Is it possible to change this to “Anyone with the link can edit”?

I would like to move the board I inadvertently put on the team account to my personal account.  Is there any way I can do this now as the backup/restore (via the RTB binary file) option seems to only be available for paid plans?

As an aside, if I try to create another board on the team account it says that the first one will become READ ONLY as you can only have three boards.  Is there any way you can tell Miro which of the three existing boards you want to make read only or does it always do that to the first one?