Select tool changes to drawing pen

• 20 April 2023
  • 6 replies

I’m working with an Apple iPad and stylus. Today, something new started happening. When I choose the ‘select’ tool and use the stylus to drag a rectangle shape across the board to select things, it now immediately/automatically switches to the drawing tool and draws a line instead. 

In related news, when I’m drawing with the stylus in freehand mode (the felt-tip pen icon), it automatically switches to shapes tool (freehand shapes that get converted to official shapes, has a little plus sign on the icon). I don’t want shapes, I want to draw a freehand box and let it be that. I’m in the right tool for it, but it automatically switches tools on me and then converts the shape. I hit ‘undo’ and keep going.

Why is Miro suddenly trying to anticipate what tool I need? I’m picking the right tool the first time, it’s changing the tool as I navigate the board. Please help me understand how to turn this ‘feature’ off.

6 replies

I’ve had the exact same problem on a 2021 iPad pro. I was trying to select things to resize and move them and it keeps switching to drawing.

I’ve successfully used Miro for my teaching until two weeks ago and today, during office hours online, I kept having this issue.

Moreover, when I’m not drawing, the drawing column disappears, as if it had not been chosen. This results in performance lag, since if I write, then I pause, then write again, it doesn’t immediately react, since it first starts showing the drawing columns (as if had just been called)

UPDATE - I FOUND A SOLUTION! 

I seem to have found what caused the issue and how to resolve it, at least in my case.

From within your iPad, click on the settings gear, next to the name of the board. In the drop-down menu, click on “Preferences”. If you’ve opened this submenu from your iPad (and probably any tablet), you get another drop-down menu where the last entry is “Only draw with Stylus”. This setting was on, so I turned it off and it went back to allow me to select when I want and draw when I ask it to

Notice: this works both from the Miro app and using it from a browser, from within your iPad

On other hand, if you follow the same path from within your laptop, the “Preferences” menu does not show the “Only draw with Stylus”

Hope this helps

That solved it for me too!

Thank you @Francesco M , worked for me too.

I don’t have a settings gear :(

Thank you @Francesco M , this worked for me too!!! This has been a problem for me for MONTHS! So appreciative to have this “feature” off so I can use my Apple Pencil effectively again.