[RESOLVED] Template links not updating to current board

Userlevel 3

i love templates. use them all the time. But the problem is that all the links between the various elements in the template need redoing every time - this is a bit time consuming and a bit hit and miss if you miss one! - Anyway of getting them to stay linked would be appreciated. 

Nick_Miro 2 years ago

Thanks a lot for bearing with us!

Our developers have fixed the issue, and the app is now back up and running for all users. Please check if you can open it smoothly now and let us know if anything goes wrong, we’ll be sure to keep the investigation going.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused!

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Ruth Newnham -

Because links are absolute and not relative references, this would require a redesign of how links work. You might want to add a comment to and upvote this idea which is similar and was previously submitted: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/make-on-board-links-to-elements-on-the-same-board-relative-to-allow-for-copying-of-a-board-with-such-links-5273

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ruth Newnham - The workaround here is to manage your template as a regular board vs a Custom Template. Then, when you want to use your template, you can duplicate the board. When you do this, the internal object links will remain intact. I have used this strategy in the past and keep these "template" boards in a project called "Templates".

A benefit to to this appraoch is that you can easily share these templates with those outside of your team by settings the board's Share settings to anyone with the link "can view" and ensuring the Board Content Settings are set to anyone with the board access can duplicate the board/template into their own Miro account.

The downside is of using a board as a template is that you won't be able to insert the template into an existing board by copy-and-pasting it from your template baord into an existing board as the links will point back to the original board.

Userlevel 3

Thanks both. @Robert Johnson  unfortunately I almost exclusively use the templates in existing boards😔

Userlevel 3

@Robert Johnson @Kiron Bondale 

UPDATE - WEIRD BEHAVIOUR  not sure what I should do with this info. I opened a board today and added a template, usual things links were just miro logo - I went and did something else came back and somehow all the links were now arrows and worked.  I then tried reproducing this on another board - same thing, when first added links didn’t work - went back to the board and suddenly all working. Tried with a different template - no working links. Any thoughts? 

Update - went back to the board with the other template I tried and that works too- I’m guessing they have found a way to make it work - do have to close the board and reopen though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ruth Newnham - Good catch! This appears to be a bug. I will open a support ticket and update this ticket with what the support team tells me.

To demonstrate this, I have a template that is two sticky notes - one linking to the other:

When I restore the template to a new board, the link in the sticky is still pointing to the template board as indicated the by the Miro logo at the top-right corner of the sticky (and does open the board in the template editor interface, i.e., the “Save and exit” button is present):

However, when I refresh the board, the link is fixed:

The link now matches the current board:

Userlevel 3

@Robert Johnson I am happy with the behaviour -(other than closing and reopening) hoping that this is a new feature as it actually does what I wanted in my original post above - the links inside the template stay working and refer to the objects I originally linked them with instead of to another board. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ruth Newnham - The intended behaviour is for the links to point to elements within the board/template they were created, just as you are describing in your original post.

Having to close and re-open the board before the links work again is definitely a bug.

Userlevel 3

@Robert Johnson - I understand the closing and opening is a bug.

What I am unclear about is the functioning of the links. My original post was around my frustration that the links in templates had to be updated in every board they were added to. 

i.e. a link from sticky note a to sticky note b in the template, when the template was added to a new board you had to edit the link for it to work on that board. Otherwise the MIRO logo would take you to a separate ‘template board’ 

as described (sort of) in the link given above by @Kiron Bondale above. 

what I noticed today, and am trying to work out if it’s a new feature or if I’ve just been doing something wrong up to now, is that the links within the template are now still functioning when the template is added to a new board, albeit that it has to close and reopen. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

What I am unclear about is the functioning of the links. My original post was around my frustration that the links in templates had to be updated in every board they were added to. 

The intended functionality is as follows:

1. I create a template with two sticky notes - sticky note A and B.
  2. I link sticky note A to sticky note B, so when I click on the link on sticky A I am taken t sticky B.
  3. I call this template “Linked Stickies”.
  4. I create a new board and call it “template test”.
  5. I restore/add template “Linked Stickies” to the board “template test”.
  6. The link at the top-right corner of sticky A should be an arrow.
  7.  When I click on the link on sticky A, I am taken to sticky B on the same [template test] board.

what I noticed today, and am trying to work out if it’s a new feature or if I’ve just been doing something wrong up to now, is that the links within the template are now still functioning when the template is added to a new board, albeit that it has to close and reopen. 

You were doing nothing wrong and there is no new “feature”. If the links never worked for as long as you were trying it, but now they do work but only after a board reload, then there was a bug that appears to be partially fixed. I trust that Miro will correct any outstanding glitches and make the links work from the onset of being added to a board from a template.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update #1:

Could you please clarify if the following steps are correct:

1. Create a Custom Template;
  2. Add widgets to the template board;
  3. Link widgets to each other;
  4. Save the template and add it to one of the boards;
  5. Once the template is added, all the widgets that had been linked to other widgets showed either the Miro logo or blue arrow in the top right corner;
  6. If you click on the Miro logo link, you were redirected to the page where you can edit the template, while with a blue arrow, you were forwarded to the widget on the same board (which is the behaviour you've expected);
  7. After some time, all links have been updated to blue-arrow ones, even those you haven't changed manually. 

?name=inline1298355042.png

Is the description above correct? If so, we've heard back from the Product team regarding the issue you addressed (with links from custom templates), and it turns out that they are aware of this limitation and have plans to improve it in the backlog. I've also learned that you can use a single reload should help (with no need to wait) as a workaround

As for the improvement with links in custom templates, as the feature is still in development, we can't share any ETA with you just yet, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on our Changelog. Feel free to sign up for the bi-weekly Changelog newsletter right on the Changelog page.

Userlevel 3

Update #1:

Could you please clarify if the following steps are correct:

1. Create a Custom Template;
  2. Add widgets to the template board;
  3. Link widgets to each other;
  4. Save the template and add it to one of the boards;
  5. Once the template is added, all the widgets that had been linked to other widgets showed either the Miro logo or blue arrow in the top right corner;
  6. If you click on the Miro logo link, you were redirected to the page where you can edit the template, while with a blue arrow, you were forwarded to the widget on the same board (which is the behaviour you've expected);
  7. After some time, all links have been updated to blue-arrow ones, even those you haven't changed manually. 

?name=inline1298355042.png

Is the description above correct? If so, we've heard back from the Product team regarding the issue you addressed (with links from custom templates), and it turns out that they are aware of this limitation and have plans to improve it in the backlog. I've also learned that you can use a single reload should help (with no need to wait) as a workaround

As for the improvement with links in custom templates, as the feature is still in development, we can't share any ETA with you just yet, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on our Changelog. Feel free to sign up for the bi-weekly Changelog newsletter right on the Changelog page.

apologies for late reply - basically yes you are correct. 

Seems like I have been doing a lot of unnecessary link updating over the past several months - a bit irritating!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ruth Newnham:

unnecessary link updating

Miro needs to hurry and improve this experience for sure! For now they could at least display a message to reload the board if internal links are found.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks a lot for bearing with us!

Our developers have fixed the issue, and the app is now back up and running for all users. Please check if you can open it smoothly now and let us know if anything goes wrong, we’ll be sure to keep the investigation going.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused!

I realize this has been marked as resolved but I am still having issues. All up to date and issues are occurring on both Miro desktop app OSX 0.7.24 and web using chrome.

Please advise.