[RESOLVED] For Windows Desktop App, Disable / Re-Assign Alt Revealing App Ribbon

Userlevel 5
Badge

I lean quite heavily on Alt + Click / Drag to duplicate objects. Pressing Alt in the Windows Desktop App reveals the top application ribbon (File, Edit, etc). Duplicating objects using the Alt method reveals the top application ribbon, bumping interface elements (left-hand tool tray, vertical scroll bar) down, then re-hiding and re-shifting when any subsequent action is performed. It’s not a major issue, more one of those "Serenity Now, Insanity Later” kind of things. For as much as I’ve used both the desktop app and the Alt + Click / Drag Duplication method, I can’t remember this being an issue until quite recently. Not sure if an update affected this.

On the topic of Alt + Click / Drag to Duplicate in the Desktop App, I’ve also noticed a recent uptick where an object will appear duplicated but not actually duplicate (it’s non-selectable). I’ll need to close out and re-open the board for the object to not appear and the board to resume its fully synced functionality. It happens every two-or-so hours of consistent use, I would say. I can submit a support request next time it occurs, unless someone has found also encountered this and found a resolution.

Thanks!

Robert Johnson 10 months ago

Latest update from Miro Support:

Our engineering team has let us know that they fixed the bug you reported, and now the alt + drag duplication should work without any issues. With that being said, could you please try to reproduce the flow and let us know how it works on your end?

The ghosting issue appears to be resolved. @Kyle Chipman, want to give it a try?

View original

19 replies

A ribbon is a command bar that organizes a program's features into a series of tabs at the top of a window. Using a ribbon increases discoverability of features and functions, enables quicker learning of the program as a whole, and makes users feel more in control of their experience with the program.

A ribbon is a command bar that organizes a program's features into a series of tabs at the top of a window. Using a ribbon increases discoverability of features and functions, enables quicker learning of the prog

• es), there can be multiple contextual tab sets displayed at a time.
  • Modal tabs, which are core tabs displayed with a particular temporary mode, such as print preview.
  • Galleries, which are lists of commands or options presented graphically. A results-based gallery illustrates the effect of the commands or options instead of the commands themselves. An in-ribbon gallery is displayed within a ribbon, as opposed to a pop-up window.
  • Enhanced tooltips, which concisely explain their associated commands and give the shortcut keys. They may also include graphics and references to Help. Enhanced tooltips reduce the need for command-related Help.
  • Dialog box launchers, which are buttons at the bottom of some groups that open dialog boxes containing features related to the group.

Ribbons were originally introduced with Microsoft

ram as a whole, and makes users feel more in control of their experience with the program.

I’ve noticed the same issue and it can be a major annoyance when trying to keep objects aligned on the canvas! I have found that after alt+click/drag to copy, I have to go back and re-align the new object.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I believe this is a bug as pressing the Alt key previously only worked while on the dashboard, i.e., Boards tab.

I will submit a ticket to Miro support for an answer and report back here. 

Miro support team:

As Kyle has mentioned, pressing Alt while on an open board in the desktop app now exposes the menu bar, which causes unnecessary and distracting shifting on the board.

From my past experience, you could only expose the menu bar from the dashboard/Boards tab. Can you please confirm if this change was intentional? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for the escalation @Robert Johnson, and thank you for the nomenclature breakdown @Usman67876543.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update #1 from Miro support:

Thanks a lot for reaching out and addressing your request. 

In order to check if the behavior of Alt exposing the menu bar is expected or a bug, we've reached out to our team internally and are currently waiting for their reply.

Once we hear back from the team, we'll be sure to share updates in this thread. Please bear with us and feel free to address any other questions that might appear in the meantime!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update #2 from Miro support:

Our engineering team let us know they will treat the issue as a bug and will work on its investigation and the fix. I'm afraid, we're not able to share any ETA on when the fix is going to be released, but we'll be sure to keep you posted on the progress.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for both the escalation and the updates, @Robert Johnson. Didn’t want to unnecessarily load this onto your plate - appreciate the follow-up. I’ll be more mindful of possible bug submissions moving forward :)

I have the same issue. Thanks for posting this and to @Robert Johnson for the updates!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Robert Johnson I know that the bug is already in motion on Engineering’s side, but for record’s sake I figured out exactly when this is occurring and (more helpfully) when it’s not occurring.

The bug, where a phantom object is created on Alt + click / drag duplication, only affects newly created sheets where the second action (after the first action of creating an object) is duplicating an object through Alt + click / drag.

After testing, if an object is duplicated by Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V or Ctrl + D first, then followed by Alt + click / drag duplication, the bug will not occur.

I also tested creating a sheet, creating the object, closing the sheet, re-opening the sheet and using Alt + click / drag, and could not recreate the bug. However, creating a sheet, closing the sheet, re-opening the sheet, creating the object then Alt + click / drag duplication recreated the bug.

I tried opening an old sheet, creating a new object as my first action and Alt + click / drag for my second action, and could not recreate the bug.

I think it’s all based around the first few sequentially logged actions associated with a newly created sheet. I’ve been encountering this bug so often recently because I exclusively use the Alt + click / drag method for duplication along with creating a bunch of fresh boards to embed in our internal documentation. Spent the past 20 minutes running these tests because I had to confirm the hunch. I can now move on with my life, with confidence :).

Please see the gif below for reference to what the bug is. If I figure out any other details I’ll share them here, as it’s kind of a public-thread bug anyways. Given the specific circumstances required to trigger this bug it feels pretty low-level in terms of priority.

Hope this helps!

At this point I think I’m the only person this invested in the bug - I am compelled to update.

The bug happened again, but some time after working in a new sheet (at least fifteen minutes) with many actions preceding the Alt + click / drag bug. However, none of my actions were Ctrl + C or Ctrl + D, so it might be specific to duplication.

If I can continue to edit and learn anything new, I will. I’m sure there’s a lesson about releasing and accepting somewhere in here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update: I haven’t heard back from Miro support, but there was a desktop app for update for me a few days ago (0.7.30, 64-bit, Windows 10/11) and the issue appears to be resolved.

@Kyle Chipman - Give it a try!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks Robert. It’s still happening, but honestly, it’s such an infrequent occurence (primarily happening once when boards are created) and having such a quick resolution (close and re-open the board) that other items can definitely be given higher priority.

That book I wrote above was more a focused 25 minutes of typing, which is kind of a lot, but I was so determined to figure out what was going on.

I recorded a gif including text object description that reviews what’s happening.

Hmm, it appears the gif is too large (3mb). It’s as described above - create a new board, create an object, alt drag to duplicate, two objects created (one real, one visual only), board closed and opened, objects synced correctly (visual only object removed)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kyle Chipman - Ahhh, gotcha. I was more focused on the fact that pressing the ALT key on a board in the desktop app was exposing the menu bar, which is shouldn’t, and is no longer doing.

I will open another ticket about this “ghosted” object issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks! Agreed, the toolbar being revealed by pressing Alt is no longer occurring in the desktop app. Super appreciated, dev team :), and thank you again for following up, Robert.

Is it possible for me to submit bugs? I don’t want to put the burden entirely on you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks! Agreed, the toolbar being revealed by pressing Alt is no longer occurring in the desktop app. Super appreciated, dev team :), and thank you again for following up, Robert.

Is it possible for me to submit bugs? I don’t want to put the burden entirely on you.

You’re welcome!

Yes, you can submit via the support form - instructions here: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The latest update from Miro support was a very fast, generic response. The issue still persists.

The team introduced some improvements to the process. We can't guarantee they will solve your reported issue, but we would like to hear about your experience. 

Please check on your end if things are running smoothly now and let us know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Latest update from Miro support:

Thanks a lot for following up.

Indeed, when we tested the behavior on a Windows machine, we could replicate the issue with a ghost sticky whereas there's no such an issue on Apple devices.

We've escalated the issue to the engineering team for further investigation. Once there are any updates to share, we'll be sure to let you know.

Please bear with us and have a great week!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Latest update from Miro Support:

Our engineering team has let us know that they fixed the bug you reported, and now the alt + drag duplication should work without any issues. With that being said, could you please try to reproduce the flow and let us know how it works on your end?

The ghosting issue appears to be resolved. @Kyle Chipman, want to give it a try?

Userlevel 5
Badge

I just did, and the bug has been resolved. Thank you so much for the follow-up, Robert, and big thanks to the engineering team for resolving the issue. Obliged obliged and celebration!

Hope all is well on your side :)