"Require passwords for boards shared by public link."

• 10 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi,

In the meantime there is a function with which I can centrally control that all board owners must provide their public boards with a password.
What happens when the switch is set for the first time? Does the system assign a default password for existing boards?

thank you

Roland

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Roland Thaler, I’ve just tested it and can see that once I click Anyone with the link can edit, a button to Set password appears. And I can set the password for this board.

Did you happen to try the functionality yourself? Please share your findings :slight_smile:

By the way, more information about this functionality is in the Help Center article - https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014617239-Password-protection-for-public-boards

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Roland Thaler - I am assuming that you are on the Enterprise Plan and are referring the following information?

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730133

From my read of the article, it is not explicitly clear, but I believe that each board already set to public/anyone with the link access would become inaccessible until a password is added. 

Hi all!

We are planning to set the option “Require passwords for boards shared by public link” on the Enterprise Plan for Miro in our company. Before implementing this change, we want to communicate to our users what this change means for them. We are still not sure which impact this change will have on the users who already have set passwords for sharing their boards: Are the previously defined passwords still valid after the change and can invited people who know the password still access their boards? Or must all users set new passwords when sharing their boards?

Thanks for your help in advance and best regards

Marcela

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey @Marcela Damaschke

Alyona from Miro Support is here with an answer 👋

Should the Company Admin enable this setting, it will only affect the boards that are shared via the public link but aren't protected by a password. Should one of such boards be used at the moment when the Require passwords for boards shared by public link setting will be enabled, public sharing will be automatically disabled, and all visitors will see the following message: 

The boards that will have password protection enabled before the change won't be affected by it at all. Board owners/co-owners who already set passwords for their boards don't need to do anything else. 

Many thanks for your quick answer, @Alyona !

Many thanks for your answer, @Marina 

In the meantime we have made the change. I think it was important that the board owners were informed with clear step-by-step instructions and a reminder one or two days before the changeover.
There was a bit of confusion as to whether it was working correctly as members of the team don't have to enter a password.
But all in all it was easy for everyone. :)