Answered

"Private" accounts are merged via Slack

• 25 February 2021
  • 3 replies

It is confusing: I am attending a professional training and registered for a profile on miro to see all its features. I created two boards for my group in school. Another guy in my group created his own profile and was playing arround with one board that he set up privately (meaning on his own account). Then I invited all our guys from our Slack-Team into miro and suddenly his board was part of that team.

I understand that one user can only be part of one team, but shouldn’t there be any warning before something is merged? Imagine that he were doing something NSFW on his test account that now was instantly merged with the official set up that I made?

Is there a way to have a free account to test and evaluate when there is a team that includes you? I work as a freelancer sometimes. Miro is widely used, so there will be cases where I get invited to other boards, I don’t want to accidently share stuff that I did on my own here. How can I be sure, that I don’t run into problems when I have more than one customer?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 25 February 2021, 21:47

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MiroRabbit - I have been meaning to create a post/article on this community forum to explain the Miro account/team/projects/boards, so that I can include it her posts such as yours. However, I will try to give the condensed version now.

I understand that one user can only be part of one team

A Miro account profile (unique by email address) can be a member of one or more teams. E.g.: My Miro account profile (my Gmail address) is currently a member of ten teams - I can see all of these teams in the left-hand vertical black bar in my Miro dashboard:

Then I invited all our guys from our Slack-Team into miro and suddenly his board was part of that team.

Boards don’t suddenly move to a different team. He either created the board while he was in the wrong team or you are actually viewing boards that are in that team. What I mean by that is, you can move between/switch teams by clicking on the team name in that black vertical bar in your Miro dashboard.

If you want to see who is the board owner and which team it is located in, you can see this info in the board details from either the dashboard:

Or by clicking the board title while you are in the board:

If someone has created a board in a team by accident, they can move the board using the following action from the dashboard (NOTE: only the board owner will have the Move to account action - and the word “account” here is a poor choice of words… it should be “team”):

Is there a way to have a free account to test and evaluate when there is a team that includes you?

Yes. You can create a new Miro account with a different email address which will create a Free Plan team for you.

Thanks a lot @Robert Johnson !

That helped a lot. – So you can’t create a second team, but you can get invited to one an even become admin there.

It is very odd and unnecessarily complicated. If people have their own account its fine, they have their free “private team” to play arround, but if someone like me uses the Slack invite, everyone that hadn’t created a miro account first (with a “private team”) had to be removed from the team, then create their own team and then be invited to our team again. Complicated by design I would say.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MiroRabbit:

you can’t create a second team, but you can get invited to one an even become admin there.

Exactly. You could invite someone to your Free Plan team, make them an a Team Admin, and then with that new role they could delete.

Every Miro account profile is allotted one Free Plan Team. So, say ten people signed up for Miro, they would all have their own team that only they could see. However, if Person A added Person B to their team, now Person A would still only have one team and Person B would would have two teams in their dashboard: Person A’s team, but also still their own team that is still private to them (I’m sure you get the picture).

So, here’s what you can do to add another Free Plan team to your current Miro account profile:

1. great a new Miro account using some other email address - we’ll call it email2
  2. once you have done this, you’ll have a new team - we’ll call it team2
  3. Add your existing account profile (email1) as a team member to team2
  4. give that new team member Team Admin role
  5. then, while logged in under your current account (email1), select team2 from your Miro dashboard, click on the team settings gear icon, go to the Active users page, and then delete email2 from that team.

What you will have effectively just done is created a new Free Plan Miro team and then ported it over to your existing Miro account profile.