Answered

No Start menu entry or desktop shortcut icon for the Windows desktop app?

• 3 June 2021
  • 2 replies

I’ve been testing installs of the Windows 64-bit desktop application for our Windows 10 desktop users in our corporate environment. The application installs successfully into my user account, and I see the application listed in Programs & Features, but there isn’t a Start menu entry nor is there a desktop shortcut icon. Is this the expected behavior?

Our end users do not have admin rights on their company-owned devices, so I’m wondering what is the normal/expected way of launching the application. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 3 June 2021, 18:40

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@RonRonRon - It has been so long since I have done a new install of the desktop app that I wasn’t sure now I got my shortcut in place.

Yes, searching for “miro in the start menu returns nothing, but “realtimeboard” does (which is the name of the install folder):

@Tolya Filippov - Is there anything Miro can do to return a result when the user searched for “miro” or this this a Windows thing?

Thanks for the response, Robert. Your experience is different than mine. Neither “Miro” nor “RealTimeBoard” are in my Start menu. I’m testing on a VM that’s running the current version of Windows 10. I’ve performed the install both with a non-admin and an admin account, and same result both times. I’m able to successfully log in using an email and password I created (not using single sign-on, just to be clear). 

And just to confirm that I’m starting with the correct source executable: I downloaded miro.exe from this page: Download Miro Apps for Mac, Windows, iOS & Android (under the Desktop section, then Windows, then chose the 64-bit installer).

I realize I could write a wrapper script that performs the install and then creates a shortcut, but for simplicity’s sake, I’m trying to avoid that.