New Table import from excel doesn't work properly?

• 23 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Active Contributor
  • 24 replies

Logged into Miro and was pleasantly surprised to see that Miro now allows you to paste excel table data into a grid. Great I’ve been waiting on this!!

However it doesn’t work. 

If I insert a table. 
Select a cell and paste in my table data I just get an empty table (although it manages to pick up on the formatting. 

9 replies

Userlevel 1

For reference I have looked at the FAQ.

Tables – Miro Support & Help Center

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gav -

It worked fine for me using Miro through Google Chrome, although the formatting did not seem to carry over:

Kiron

Userlevel 1

I am copy and pasting from actual Excel. Does this only work on excel online?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gav -

Same here - I’m using the desktop version of MS Excel…

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Gav - Tables are still quite new and still evolving. As you find things that seem “glitchy”, do submit any feedback using the Send feedback link at the bottom of any Table:

In this case, you may even want to include a link to this post.

And if something is outright not working for you and others, do create a Miro support ticket:

learning center → Get help → Support:

More on contacting Miro Support here:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-Contact-Miro-Support

Userlevel 1

So we’re saying this is a glitch then?? Happy to report a bug.

I’d have reported it as a bug if it was clear whether this was expected behaviour or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Gav - There appears to be a glitch for you, but not for Kiron or myself.

With multiple components involved (computer OS, browser or app to access Miro, version/method of Excel or Google Sheets) comes more complexity when troubleshooting issues like these. If Miro is going to promote that copy-and-paste works, then they will need to support it. Perhaps there is something about your specific scenario that they have not accounted for in their code solution, e.g., your version of computer OS or Excel.

My setup is:

• Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, build 19041.867
  • Excel desktop version 2012 (Build 13801.20360)
  • Tested from both:
    • Chrome browser - stable 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • Miro desktop app - 64-bit 0.5.1
  • Excel online via OneDrive - build 16.0.13916.35052
  • Google Sheets (version unknown)

My tests:

1. I copy to my clipboard (using either the Copy action or Ctrl+C shortcut)
  2. I select the first cell in the Miro table
  3. and paste using Ctrl+V

Excel online

Excel desktop app

Note how alignment is bottom in Excel, but ends up being top in Miro table:

Google Sheets

Aligns to bottom as it appears in Google Sheets:

If you can’t get it to work no matter what you try, then, yes, I would suggest that you open a Miro support ticket and include all relevant versions as I have outlined above.

Userlevel 1

I can tell you what I think the problem is. As I mentioned right at the start, Miro picks up on the formatting but not the data from the cells. I just did this with again with my live data. 

If there’s formatting the paste doesn’t work. If there is no formatting then it does.

I’ve not had a chance to raise the bug… 

Also I tend to use the Miro in its own application rather than the browser, both app and browser are fully up to date. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Gav - Let’s clarify your definition of “formatting”. Are you referring to styles, conditional formatting, formulated data in the cell?

E.g., what is in the formula bar when you select one of the cells that you are trying to paste?

I just changed the font face, color, and cell background colour and the pasting works as follows: