[NEW FUNCTIONALITY] SharePoint links opening in popup in Miro desktop app, instead of default browser

Userlevel 1

A couple of days ago the behavior of my Miro board (desktop) SharePoint external links changed.  They used to open in a new Chrome (Mac) browser tab.  Now they open within the Miro desktop app as a pop up menu with no tool bar.  How can I change this back to a browser window?

Robert Johnson 1 year ago

Latest update from Miro support:

This is Isaac from the Technical Support Engineer team at Miro, I am reaching out about certain links opening within Miro instead of your default Browser.

This is the result of a recent update where we had users requesting that links to tools like Excel and the like open within the app instead of browsers. I am in contact with the team that handles this area about creating a way for a user to set a preference for links opening within the app or in the browser.

If you have any feedback about how these links should work please let me know so I can speak with the developers about this.

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jane McMurry - I am seeing this too - strange. I will open a support ticket and report back.

Note: If you link to https://sharepoint.com, it opens in your default browser, but if any subdomain is present, e.g., www.sharepoint.com, then it opens in a popup:

I’m experiencing this too (and submitted a ticket), and it seems a few others have posted about this new (and poor) experience. I’m hoping it is an unintended consequence and they can revert it quickly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the update, @BrianP 

If you think of it at the time and could let us know in this post when you hear back from the support team, it would be appreciated. I will do the same and will also merge any related posts into this one.

Userlevel 1

I started to notice this on Weds, April 19th. 

Userlevel 1

@Jane McMurry - I am seeing this too - strange. I will open a support ticket and report back.

Note: If you link to https://sharepoint.com, it opens in your default browser, but if any subdomain is present, e.g., www.sharepoint.com, then it opens in a popup:

The links that are behaving this way start with https://cisco.sharepoint.com Is that what you mean by subdomain?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The links that are behaving this way start with https://cisco.sharepoint.com Is that what you mean by subdomain?

Exactly. sharepoint is the domain, .com is the top-level domain (or TLD), and anything before the domain/sharepoint is considered a subdomain (not that the average user needs to know this, but it will will mean something to the developers :) 

Userlevel 1

@Robert Johnson Thanks for the clarification and your help.  I will watch for an update from you.  Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Latest updated from Miro support:

Thanks for sharing that with us!

I could reproduce the issue, so I've passed your case along to the Technical Support Engineers for further investigation. Rest assured, they will get back to you with updates as soon as possible.

Userlevel 1

Wonderful, thank you very much Robert!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Latest update from Miro support:

This is Isaac from the Technical Support Engineer team at Miro, I am reaching out about certain links opening within Miro instead of your default Browser.

This is the result of a recent update where we had users requesting that links to tools like Excel and the like open within the app instead of browsers. I am in contact with the team that handles this area about creating a way for a user to set a preference for links opening within the app or in the browser.

If you have any feedback about how these links should work please let me know so I can speak with the developers about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Isaac:

In no configuration option can be added, perhaps the behaviour is reversed, so that all links opened in the user’s default browser (expected behaviour) but allow for a Ctrl/Cmd-click to open in a desktop browser new window?

Hi, I’m seeing this too and super dislike not being able to just open external links in a browser as was the norm before! I understand wanting to give people the option to open links in-app if they’d like that, but now, instead, we no longer have the old option of opening them in-browser at all. (I can’t even right-click the link to copy-paste it into my browser 😕)

I can see Isaac said to get in touch with him with feedback, but I don’t know where/how to do that… 😅

I think a ctrl/cmd-click could absolutely work — or even just adding a context menu with options if you right-click the link pop-up :) 

This is very annoying that the links open in the pop-up instead of the browser, it is super uncomfortable. Especially taking into account that there are no tabs and back button in Miro “browser”. Please make this feature optional