Need help for a workshop: different devices and digital illiteracy

• 5 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3

Greetings,

a NPO asked me for an online workshop: there are going to be 20 participants.

They will use Zoom, and they have the option to create rooms in order to divide in different sub-groups for some exercise.

I’d like to use Miro, but there are some issues:

• the participants are going to attend with different devices: some of them on PCs, others on smartphones
  • the digital literacy level is very low

What’s the best way to use Miro to make them having an active role?

Asking them to create an account is a no way: I want to keep things the lighter as possible.

There may be the Guest solution, but how is Miro on a smartphone, from a participant point of view?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@IvanPsy

how is Miro on a smartphone, from a participant point of view?

It depends on what activities you are expecting the participants to complete. If you were simply asking them to vote on items, I can tell you right away that the mobile app does not support the Voting function in Miro. Instead, you may want to do dot voting. However, you would then want to consider using a different tool altogether, e.g., Mentimeter.

You will also want to review Help Center articles for the objects you are planning on using, to ensure they are supported on the mobile version. E.g., Cards also have limited functionality in the mobile app.

Tell us more about what you plan on asking the users to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@IvanPsy :

I often combine Webex (a nearly same solution like zoom) with miro.

• Screensharing and webcamfunction works perfect - even on small mobile-devices.
  • Screensharing / Webcam and collaboration in miro works on 10” mobile devices and higher screens
  • Screensharing / Webcam and collaboration in miro works not on small mobile devices.

Often in my classes / seminars I do, the digital literacy level of some participants are also very low - but for everyone of them miro was a perfect PPT substitute because I can be more flexible when it comes to dialouge with them and often insert their votes directly into the frames (slides) I created.

I do classes and from time to time I try it again and again - and no matter what version update miro had - till now there is no solution that works if the mobile advice is to small (when I want to collaborate on the miro board)

If I use the collaboration way I often invite my participants via the free guest mode because the European Data - Security restrictons makes an online registering impossible.

Michael