Answered

Modify border radius of rounded-corner rectangle shape?

Userlevel 2

since the radius is fixed, at larger sizes it becomes too pronounced for my taste.

in other tools the radius can be modified (e.g. lucid),

i haven’t been able to spot a way to modify in Miro, am i missing it, or it doesn’t exist?

icon

Best answer by Jonathan White 25 June 2020, 18:01

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @tony k ,

till now there is no option to change the radius size of the shapes.

Post this as a wish into the wishlist-secition here:
https://community.miro.com/ideas/modify-border-radius-on-rounded-corner-rectangle-shape-9513

Michael

Userlevel 4

Hi @tony k,

Would changing the thickness of the border do the trick? You can change the opacity of the border as well.

I made a short clip on changing the border thickness, where you will see the option to change the opacity right below.

I see you posted this to the Wishlist, so if changing the thickness/opacity isn’t quite what you’re looking for, hopefully the Miro team will add the desired function soon.

I hope that helps!

Michael Sohn

Userlevel 2

border thickness/opacity wouldn’t address my thing in this case.

one detail that i should have added is that this manifests for me when i enlarge the round-corner shape to use as outer framing for a larger diagram.

at default size the round-corner shape looks fine, but when enlarged, the corner scales proportionately and it ends up being too pronounced at larger sizes. one side effect of this is that text aligned to a corner (e.g. top/left) actually touches the border.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@tony k I learned a trick to alter the severity of the rounded cornering. You cannot have a border on the shape, which might be a deal-breaker for some, but this solution works pretty well otherwise. Once you have a shape with corners you like, you can template it or copy and paste it on your board to use multiple times.

Check it out HERE.

Jon

Userlevel 4

Hi @tony k,

Ah, I see. Check out @Jonathan White’s clip on a potential workaround!

Michael Sohn

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Some genius stuff from @Jonathan White 

I gotta keep that in my toolbox.

You can use the Wireframes components in the Apps area. Take a Text area and delete the text and the corners are consistent no matter how big you make the field 

Limitations:

• the outline size grows and shrinks with the size of the box
  • limited color - grey and red - there is a blue, but its a focused state and has a hard coded cursor line in it

this works for bigger boxes and at least you can get the outline - hope this helps

Userlevel 1

Please fix this. Corner radius should not change based on width, user should be able to match radius of larger and smaller boxes, and stroke width should not change based on size of box.

since the radius is fixed, at larger sizes it becomes too pronounced for my taste.

in other tools the radius can be modified (e.g. lucid),

i haven’t been able to spot a way to modify in miro, am i missing it, or it doesn’t exist?

This is a great idea but you can cheat similarly to create the border - I used a solid block in the background that is the color I want the border to be, duplicated with a slightly smaller block in front that is white and adjusted to make the border thicker/thineer. It might not work for all colors/situations but it was a great cheat for what I needed. Thank you!

+1

This is a fantastic workaround, but why should we have to resort to workarounds? Please fix this!

Please fix this. Corner radius should not change based on width, user should be able to match radius of larger and smaller boxes, and stroke width should not change based on size of box.

This has frustrated me too again and again.
I’d recommend allowing, per rectangle, control via a toggle to either behave as is (size affects radius) or keep radius on resize. Control over the radius would indeed be nice (designers will be designers and will forever appreciate) but either a decent default or a choice from 3 (few) presets - like small/medium/big radius…
Actually this would be super sweet (though just allowing users to control the radius might be simpler : )

PS. This topic does not seem answered as it seems to be labeled.

Please can we add this feature? It’s one of the main reasons I use google slides to make mind maps/code diagrams. The ability to change border radius can change meaning of shapes and to my eyes improve aesthetics.

… Post this as a wish into the wishlist-secition here: 
[OLD LINK REMOVED]

That link no longer works. It was maybe too embarrassing to have all those votes and no news in years. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here is the correct link → https://community.miro.com/ideas/modify-border-radius-on-rounded-corner-rectangle-shape-9513

Just use a process shape from a flowchart. It’s still a fixed radius but much much smaller and aesthetically pleasing

Proposed 3 years ago and still not fixed? I’m really starting to lose faith in Miro. I really want to love it, but the things they’re choosing to focus on, like an AI assistant just so their marketing team can say they’re part of the AI wave, instead of things that are actually usable, is increasing in frustration. I guess it’s time to start exploring alternatives.