Mindmap Keyboard Navigation?

Just curious to know how to navigate Miro mindmaps using only the keyboard. For example, right now I’m at a UX conference taking notes like mad. But each time I want to add a child node I have to click on the parent node and then hit the tab key. Is there a way to navigate to the parent node using only the keyboard? This would save me a ton of time and effort if so!

Thanks for your help!

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @Douglas Cuffman!
As you’re editing a child node, you can navigate back to the parent node by clicking Escape to exit the editing mode and then using Arrows to move between nodes (use Up/Down if the mind map is vertically arranged or Left/Right if it’s horizontally arranged):

Hope this helps! 🙂

Awesome! This is very, very helpful! Thank you!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Always happy to help, @Douglas Cuffman! ✨ To make your navigation across mind maps even more efficient, feel free to use the hot keys mentioned in our Help Center article.

@Apollonia It was very useful to be able to pull up this list of shortcuts quickly from this thread, however it would be nice to have in the learning center I think too. I’m sure there are several shortcuts for each template so that would be something to work through….
Anyway, could it be configured that something like Shift + Tab creates a sibling to the parent node? 

Use case, as I’m editing I finish making 3 siblings to my current node and now I want to create a sibling to the parent node, as Douglas and you points out it requires a few keys, Escape + arrow + enter. 

(thinking further) Shift tab as outdent is pretty common but since tab is creating children maybe the problem is you already allocated shift + enter as new line inside a box, so perhaps shift + tab is fine or maybe ctrl + something (enter) instead?

Just some small playing around and the arrow keys sometimes jump from one node to another disregarding heirarchy so this could still be pretty useful if I’m in on a roll. 

Thanks for reading! :-) 

Are you aware that the arrow back doesn´t always move to the mother node but frequently jumps to a unexplainable node in the tree?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Thomas Jørgensen -

Can you record a Loom video of this behavior? If so, you could then submit it to Miro support via this page: Submit a request – Miro Support & Help Center

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale sorry no Loom video, but a few Mpegs attached to request ID 508465