Answered

Make participants follow me

• 13 May 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi!

I plan a workshop with about 15 participants and a lot of different excercises.

Now I fear that the participants will “get lost” if they want to go back to have a look at the Input I will display on my board and/or the results of the last excercise.

How can I gather all participants at a specific place on my Board?

thx in advance.

icon

Best answer by mlanders 15 May 2020, 07:13

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lilian Clauss I use something called the "Workshop Table". It's a central place with all the links to other parts of the board. It looks something like below.

I always give instructions up front to participants to come back to the Workshop Table if they are lost or if they need to go other parts of the board quickly.

See the links above for Groups, Polls and Activity Areas

You can also go to this public board to see how it works:

@Isman Tanuri 

Thank you very much for your Idea! This looks like a really good solution. I will incorporate this into the agenda I already have on my board.

I still would love to force the participant to focus on a particular part of the board though. If I or my collegue are explaining an assignment to the group I don’t want them to be distracted by veering off. If this isn’t possible yet, maybe that would be a good thing for future development?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, that feature would be useful. Would the Screenshare tool work for you?

Unfortunately, that's a big limitation of online facilitation. There is a multitude of distractions on and off screen. It's something we have to accept.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Lilian Clauss -

As Isman has suggested, screen sharing is the way to explain an exercise before you “unleash” the learners on completing it. This could be done using either Miro’s native screen share, or if you are using a third-party video conferencing solution, use theirs.

Another navigation approach would be to use the Frames “table of contents” (the Frames icon in the bottom tool bar). If each of your exercises is in its own Frame, and you have named the Frames in some logical manner, then participants can just click on the name of the Frame in the “table of contents” and they will teleport to the Frame they selected. I’ve asked learners to do that in past courses when I didn’t want to switch between observing my screen sharing and solo Miro activity for the learners. 

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Lilian Clauss ,

since two days miro got this feature to handle it:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013358479-Attention-Management

Michael

@Isman Tanuri it’s really effective and sounds useful and intuitive. I’m quite new to Miro. How did you create the links (and arrow icons for links) to the other parts of the board from the Workshop table frame?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Thinkqualitative they are really simple (like creating webpage links.) I just use the shapes in Miro and create links to other elements or frames. The blue arrows are auto-generated by Miro once you've created links for the shapes/elements. 

If you're going to try it, click on a shape/element and use the menu to find "Link to".

@Isman Tanuri thanks a lot, I’ve tried just now:heart_eyes: