Lost ownership and editing possibility on board, when I left the team by accident, how to get board back?

• 27 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi there, 

I lost my board ownership or the possibility to edit by leaving a team by accident.

Being new to Miro I didn’t realise I created a board in a university team and I wanted to take the board out so that it is not seen by everyone in the Team (500 people). I left the team not realising the board ownership.

I still have access to the board with the board link but I can’t edit as the team has reach the free plan limit - and to upgrade costs 4,000$ (due to team size). The ownership of my board has gone to the team admin by default, and this person is not responding to email. 

I only have 2 boards but I don’t mind paying for a personal membership, but if I do that will I be able to edit and move my board out of this University group not having ownership over the board I created? 

Many thanks for the help here! 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Anabelle Lacroix - When you open the board, are you able to click on the board name at the top-left corner? If you are, you may see a Duplicate button, which will allow you to copy the entire board into any team that you are a member of. You will then be the owner of this new board and can edit it.

If you are unable to do any of the above, purchasing a paid subscription will not change that.

Yes I was able to duplicate the board and move it to another team and I regained editing access. Many thanks! 

My board is still public in this big team, is there a way to have it deleted? if the team admin is not responding/active anymore?

Thanks!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Anabelle Lacroix - Great!

As for deleting the original, only the owner of the board can delete it. If there is another admin on the team, they could delete the non-responsive admin from the team and take ownership of the board and delete it, and then add the other admin back.

thanks that’s very helpful!