Locking elements when duplicating boards

• 28 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi folks,

I have read the following documentation but I still have questions about object locking

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021580759-Board-co-owner

What we have observed:

We use Miro to deliver training courses and have 3-4 facilitators / board owners. One of our main courses has a template that we update pretty regularly and we then create duplicate boards from this for specific clients. I have found that if I lock elements on the template and then duplicate the board then they are locked for me in the duplicated board. However objects that were locked on the template by someone else are now unlocked in the new copy. 

Can you tell me the expected behaviour when boards are duplicated and objects are locked by different people/roles. i.e. If a non board owner locks an object then that board is duplicated would you expect that object to be locked for everyone on the new board? Also with the new co-owner feature is there any different behaviour with locked objects between an owner and co-owner?

What we'd like to happen:

Ideally we'd like to have locking (or at least the option) duplicated when we copy boards, regardless of who locked the elements. It's a lot of work to have to lock all the elements again each time.

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stuart Rolland - To start, can you confirm that by “template” you are referring to a regular Miro board and not shared, Custom Templates?

Next, what happens if you were to complete the following test - note: you’ll need another team member to quickly help you out.

Here’s the test that I just completed (and all objects remained locked for me in the duplicated board):.

Test 

1. I created a board and as the board owner I added one sticky note with the text “Locked by Rob”
  2. I locked the sticky note.
  3. I left the board.
  4. I then logged in as another team member (from another browser) and opened the board, added a sticky note with the text “Locked by other team member” - there were now two locked sticky notes on the board.
  5. I (the other team member) left the board.
  6. As this same “other non-board owner team member”, I Duplicated the board from the dashboard by right-clicking on the board and selecting “Duplicate (the ellipsis menu is another way to get to the Duplicate action.
  7. As the same “other non-board owner team member”, I opened the duplicate, both sticky notes were still locked.

I also repeated the above steps except that in step #1 I used the Protected Lock feature that is only available to the board owner. My thought here was that perhaps during the duplication of the board--at which point the person duplicating the board becomes the board owner--the previously protected lock item may become completely unlocked, however, Miro covered this off and keep the sticky locked and now presented me with the optioned to disable the protected lock.

Hi, I can confirm I mean a regular board, not a template. However I had a look the template feature. Is there any difference between using that and just duplicating a board?

I’ll get back to you on the other steps when a team member can help me. Thanks for the reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stuart Rolland - Technically, I am not aware of any differences between a “custom template” board and a “regular” board, other than some live/collaboration--I’m sure Miro has a better definition for these--features would not be available while creating a custom template, e.g., share settings, timer, voting.

A few benefits of creating a custom template:

• Only the owner can edit it
  • A central place to store templates
  • it does not appear in the list of team boards
  • the template can be added to an existing board, unlike duplicating a regular board which creates a whole new board.

Most of the above benefits can be reproduced with other Miro functionality, e.g., the board/template owner could:

• set the board’s Team access to “No access”, so no one sees it.
  • Organization/storage
    • create a “Templates (Personal)” project and set the project permissions so that no other team members can see it
    • create a “Templates (Shared)” project and set the project permissions so that all team members can see the project and have view access to the boards that are in it (this currently overrides the board’s “Team access” and let’s other team members see any boards that you add to a project with the team access enabled):

The only feature that can’t be easily replicated is that you can’t quickly add a custom template to a board that you’re on - you would have to go open the board and copy-paste the template onto your destination board.

Another benefit of using a regular board over a custom template is that you can invite other’s to the board, e.g., to edit it with you, comment on it, or just view it.