Question

Is a team of one a private board?

On the free plan, if you have a team of just yourself, a team of one, is it effectively private, non searchable and discoverable? I’d love to sketch out some ideas, but want to make sure it’s not public first. I don’t intend to add people or share a link.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Eric R Dallaire -

I converted this from an idea to a question as it isn’t really an enhancement request.

To answer your question, yes - so long as you don’t invite anyone to the team or share the boards with anyone, you would be the only person aware of their existence. 

My only question would be, why use a collaboration-oriented tool if you don’t intend to collaborate 😀?

There are many good solo content creation tools out there, so just wondering why you’d choose Miro for such work?

Kiron

Hi Kiron, I appreciate the answer. To answer your question, I don’t think there is a better whiteboarding software out there that contains all the templates and ease of use than Miro. If you know of one, I’d love to hear it. I like to use Miro for story plotting. The canvas is enormous, and I’ve gotten used to using it from work. At some point, down the line, i could see benefit sharing it as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Eric R Dallaire -

Makes sense - between Miroverse and the templates library there are many more ready-made components than are available through other tools.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

While, yes, boards in any Miro team with no members can be considered private (assuming Visitor access is still set to No access) there are a few scenarios that could lead to unexpected team members in a Free Plan:

1. The team permissions are set to “discoverable” - however, this would not apply to common domains, e.g., gmail.com or hotmail.com:

More on this in the Manage team permissions Help Center article.
  1. Team invite link is enabled - With this setting enabled, one could accidentally share a link to a board that they only intended the recipient to be able to view. Instead, anyone registered Miro user who clicks the link would be given edit access to the board, and they would be added to the team and could therefore see all boards in the team, and even create new boards:

More on this in the Invitation settings Help Center article.

And I second @Eric R Dallaire‘s comments on using Miro boards on my own and do this nearly every day. I like having the ability to organize and visualize my thoughts/data from multiple sources on one canvas. Then, if I need to, I can easily share the canvas. Past use cases include:

1. Planning the installation of a dashcam in my car that had parking mode, which required need to be plugged into various fuses. I took screenshots from the dashcam and car manuals, along with pictures of the parking mode device. I also pasted notes and links to online sources/forums/etc.
  2. My personal goal planning for work, which I then just present via a screenshare over MS Teams.
  3. A quick timeline of my life since high school, along with pictures to share via a screenshare over a Google Meet call when catching up with old friends. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I agree with both @Kiron Bondale and @Robert Johnson! 😄

I mainly use Miro for collaborative work, but I also have a “Dab” board where I just jot things down and experiment.