[RESOLVED] Arrows within a Miro container

• 19 March 2024
  • 6 replies

I’m trying to use the Miro “Container” feature in some shapes and it seems promising. However, as I attempt to connect shapes within the container, the arrows disappear immediately.

For example, create a “container” using the AWS VPC shape. Then add an AWS Lambda shape to it and an AWS SQS shape. Draw an arrow from Lambda to SQS and it immediately disappears.

I can’t get that arrow to stick when connecting the two shapes. For now, I’m ditching the container feature and just using plain shapes. Anyone else have a workaround?

Interestingly, I tried wrapping the container into a Frame to get this screen shot, and that won’t stick either. I have to sort of create the frame, then drag it around the container.

Robert Johnson 22 days ago

@Michael Goulet /@Andrew Chemis  - As per the message from the Miro support team - and my testing - the issue appears to be resolved:

The team confirmed that they released a fix for this issue with the arrows within a Miro container. Could you please check the behavior on your end and let us know how it goes now? 

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Goulet - Nice find! Yes, I see that, using these AWS diagram shapes:

And trying to join them with connection lines results in this unexpected behaviour:

NOTE: The workaround appears to be to join them outside of the container, and then move them into the container one by one:

I will report this to the support team and update this post as they reply.

Support team:

Here is a board that you can duplicate to your account, to reproduce the issue:

https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVKe1Ujno=/

Thanks for the quick response, and yep, workaround acknowledged. For now, I find it easier to simulate the container with plain old shapes. Looking forward to this being fixed and giving containers another try.

A bit more analysis shows different behavior on different shapes interacting with containers.

• Regular shapes (square, circle, etc) incorrectly disappear when dropped in. Similar to the interaction you showed with the arrow.
  • Freehand pen can be drawn in a container and also correctly moves with it.
  • Sticky notes, text blocks, and wireframe objects do not disappear, but also incorrectly do not stick to the container as it moves around.
  • Frames are odd as I mentioned earlier. I can’t create a frame around a container using the “Create frame” flow; the frame disappears immediately. When I drag a container into an existing frame, it correctly sticks as the frame moves around. If I move a frame over an existing container, the  frame does not disappear, but the also container incorrectly does not stick as the frame moves around.
  • Containers can be placed in containers, but they do not stick as the parent container moves around. I imagine this is by design, but it would be nice if containers worked recursively.

I’m not sure if objects need to be “containable” to stick, but ideally any Miro shape would work in/around containers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update from Miro Support:

Thanks for reaching out to the Miro Support team and reporting this issue with the connection lines in Miro containers. 

I reached out to the responsible engineering team internally so that they can check this behavior and will get back to you as soon as we have an update. Please bear with us. 

I am also having the same error, however, the workaround does not work. I cannot place text boxes, notes, or other objects inside any AWS container.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Goulet /@Andrew Chemis  - As per the message from the Miro support team - and my testing - the issue appears to be resolved:

The team confirmed that they released a fix for this issue with the arrows within a Miro container. Could you please check the behavior on your end and let us know how it goes now? 

Appears to be resolved - thanks!