Answered

Import Excel cell colours as sticky note colours

• 6 November 2020
  • 3 replies

When importing Excel cells as sticky notes into Miro, is there a way to import cell colours as different sticky note colours? I don’t think there is but it would be a handy feature.

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 8 November 2020, 18:46

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jonberg - There does not appear to be a way to do this. I tried creating a blue sticky and then another sticky using the N hotkey shortcut which as expected created the new sticky as the same color as the last sticky I created. Then I pasted in some cells from Excel, but they were created in the stock yellow (I suspect that Miro gets $0.01 from 3M/Post-it for every yellow sticky created?).

Next, I grabbed the HTML color code of a pink Miro sticky, used that color as my Excel cell background color, and pasted those into my Miro board and… yellow again.

If you would like to change the way Miro behaves when creating stickies, I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know. If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

There is also this Wish List Idea that you may want to add your comments/vote to: Accessibility - Ability to change the default colors for sticky notes so they look better for people with color blindness

It works when you copy and paste from google sheets

here is a google sheets with all the sticky colours:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERNh-ojVaXnnSybVXHjImnbK5NXr0CckzROEZ-EuT7Y/edit?usp=sharing

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nick Logan - Great find!

I had a look at the Miro Developers documentation for sticky notes colors (called stickers in the code) and they don’t list all 16 colors:

So I created this table in a Google Sheet (assuming the new color codes using a color picker app (later realizing I could probably find this in the Miro CSS or JS using the developer console in Chrome, but this was faster for me at the time):

And here are the copy/paste into a Miro board results:

@Jonberg - It’s worth noting that, while you can color Google Sheet cells any color you like, Miro does not allow for custom sticky note colors like its other objects/shapes, and therefore Miro will round the color to one of the closest standard sticky colors. E.g., I shaded a Google Sheet cell with color code #2D13C5:

And it imported as black:

If anyone was curious, I used this site to get the names of of HTML color codes → http://www.htmlcsscolor.com/