How to use design elements from a template

• 13 December 2021
  • 12 replies

Hi all - using miro for the first time and have a very basic question which I can’t seem to find anywhere. I’m trying to use this lo-fi template from miroverse: https://miro.com/templates/low-fidelity-wireframes/

I’m not able to pre-loaded it with some elements. And, I can’t seem to find how to use this template design elements even if I wanted to start from scratch. Can you please help? I’m not sure how to search for this and things like “miro + how to use a template elements” give me nothing. 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@pedroteixeira07 -

As it is a low fidelity wireframe, the intent is that a team of collaborators would drop basic Miro shapes within the different wireframes provided (e.g. lines, rectangles, circles, text boxes) using the line, shapes & text tools available in the left vertical toolbar.

Kiron

Thanks @Kiron Bondale - I’m not seeing any of these basic Miro shapes on my left vertical toolbar option.

Sorry for the daft question but just to make sure I understood, does this simply mean that no one has collaborated yet, or is there something I need to switch on first?  

Below is a screenshot. I added this Miro Verse Template, and explored the basic shapes on the left but can’t see anything 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@pedroteixeira07 -

I was referring to the widgets within that vertical toolbar (middle of your screenshot) which has the shape icon (below the sticky note one), the line icon (below the shape one) and the text box icon (above the sticky note one). You should be able to click on each of those and create the selected shapes, lines or text within the wireframes.

Kiron

Hey @Kiron Bondale  - thanks for the feedback. Those icons you mention were the ones I tried, but can’t find nothing. Below a screenshot when clicking the shape icon - sorry for the poor screenshot before, it was the view when clicking “all shapes”

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@pedroteixeira07 -

I’m unclear on the problem as you’ve been able to draw a square in the wireframe. You should be able to select any shape, line or text box and draw it within the wireframe similar to what you’ve done with the square.

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale because I was expecting to see/achieve the Low-fidelity look and feel as their template screenshot show in the Miroverse page: https://miro.com/templates/low-fidelity-wireframes/

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@pedroteixeira07 -

You can use the pen tool (it’s below the line tool in your toolbar) to do free hand drawing within the frames which is what I assumed the folks who created that example did.

Kiron

Hi @Kiron Bondale that sort of defeats the purpose of a “template” to begin with. I don’t understand why would they even create this if there’s no functionality and ready-to-use elements behind it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Agreed @pedroteixeira07. The template just provides different types of frames representing different devices but as far as the content goes, as it is low fidelity they are trying to replicate the experience of doing a “back of a cocktail napkin” drawing. For higher fidelity wireframes, the wireframe library can be used to browse and drag in elements.

Nothing prevents you from using elements from that library with the empty frames in the low fidelity template…

Kiron

Had the same confusion - seems a bit dumb. I think designers will love the look of the sample shown as I do and to be told that I must hand draw it is pointless, making some frames is the simplest and quickest thing which doesn’t require a template.

Same here - I downloaded the template to use the template. I want to make low-fi wireframes that look quick and dirty for a very specific reason. The preview for the template also shows the hand drawn style elements. What exactly is the point of this template? Has anyone had any luck with this one at all?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @JBMusicFlow, @Michael Viljoen, and @pedroteixeira07,

Sorry about the confusion caused around this template. I’ll pass your feedback onto our team.

In the meantime, I think I might be able to help. You can find a direct link to board from the screenshot shared here: https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_kgiRxdA=/

You can duplicate the board from by selecting duplicate from the board settings. See GIF below for a walkthrough.

Thank you for your patience and I appreciate your enthusiasm for the hand-drawn style. 

Kristin