Answered

How to create a timeline like the User Experience Design video

• 15 June 2020
  • 4 replies

I noticed in the video at 2:18 they create a quick and simple timeline.

https://academy.miro.com/learn/course/user-experience-design/running-online-workshops/video-walkthrough

How do you accomplish that? I was looking for a function of the line tool to create a “point” that isn’t creating a bezier curve.

icon

Best answer by Michael Sohn 15 June 2020, 22:42

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @Michael Proctor,

1.  Select the line tool and draw the line. Holding down Shift will keep the line straight.
  2. Choose the line end that you want (arrow, point)
  3. Double-click on the line and type what you want. (Example: Q1) Note: You might have to zoom in/resize the text so that you can see it.
  4. Drag the text up/down (depending on where you want the text on the line), and a point will be created.
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for additional points on the line.

I hope that helps. You can also take a look at this help article on Adding text labels on lines.

I’ve also made a clip that goes through the steps above, which you can watch here.

Michael Sohn

@Michael Sohn thanks for that, so just confirming the lines don't snap to each other, you just put it as close to over the top as you can?

i had figured it was something like this but was trying to work out how to ensure the line starts where the other ends? If you export the line just worried especially as vector that other formats might not be as forgiving with the approximate location of the start/end.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Michael Proctor,

It’s my pleasure to help! I’m a little confused by your question.

If I’m understanding correctly, if you’re looking to use multiple lines with different start and end points, you can align the lines together as close as possible, holding down Shift to help keep them straight.

You can then hold down Shift and drag to select the multiple lines and then click “group objects.” Doing so will “snap” the lines together so that they move as one.

Does that address your desired use case?

Michael Sohn

Userlevel 4

Hi @Michael Proctor,

I forgot to also mention, you can use the Timeline template in Miro and delete the stickies if you don’t need them.

Michael Sohn