How to correctly move objects with auto-align?

• 12 July 2022
  • 6 replies

I have the constant need to move/clone objects and need them all to be aligned with each other.

I know I can select all objects then use the align tool.

But what I need is to select the object and move them following that blue auto align line:

I know that when I hold the [shift] button, I can easily move the object and keep the auto align line in all directions, like that:

However, this tool seem to work at random. Sometimes I need this behavior and instead it selects multiple objects, like that:

I fear that because they are both the same shortcut there may be some hidden rule telling which case will work when, but it’s really p*ssing me off that I can’t figure it out.

Which is the correct way to move objects using the [shift] shortcut and trigger auto align?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nicolle Diniz - Honestly, after 4.5+ years of using Miro, I never knew that holding the Shift key would move objects along 45 degree increments - I mean, I sort of knew this as I have used the Shift key for to adjust connection lines to be flat/horizontal.

As for aligning objects, there are two tools that I know of:

Will these be of any help?

@Robert Johnson oooh I didn’t know it worked on connecton lines but yes, that would be the same tool!

And unfortunately no, it doesn’t help. I do use those tools and they work fine but sometimes they just don’t fit as well as the 45º one.

I believe I’m just missing some aditional rule and getting out of my way to avoid it instead of learning how to do it right sounds wasteful to me, since it’s an already built feature.

I noticed when I click some empty space between shapes, the tool works most of the time but when there are too many shapes selected, it switches to the secont behaviour.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I do not have an answer for you @Nicolle Diniz but I will try to check it out from my Miro Tomorrow. 
If you use shapes for ‘’spacers’’ between your shapes ,will it allow you to help keep a distance and an organization with your shapes ?

I use a lot of Align and autolayout ! 

Hi @Véronique Carbonneau ! Well it is a way of getting it done but as I said it sounds wasteful since I’m mostly sure there’s just something I’m missing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @Véronique Carbonneau ! Well it is a way of getting it done but as I said it sounds wasteful since I’m mostly sure there’s just something I’m missing.

I Re-Read your post, and this is a realy good question for someone in Miro.. ! @Robert Johnson Who can answer : Which is the correct way to move objects using the [shift] shortcut and trigger auto align?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Véronique Carbonneau ! Well it is a way of getting it done but as I said it sounds wasteful since I’m mostly sure there’s just something I’m missing.

I Re-Read your post, and this is a realy good question for someone in Miro.. ! @Robert Johnson Who can answer : Which is the correct way to move objects using the [shift] shortcut and trigger auto align?

Miro support should be able to confirm this:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C