How is Agile run in your company?

• 28 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I imagine different companies run/interpret Agile very differently. 

I remember at my last company, to move away from waterfall to agile, they renamed all the BAs to Product Designers. 

Oh dear … 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Karen M -

I believe there is a correlation between company size/age and the number of iterations through The Matrix they go through in their journey to greater agility. I worked with one organization that has had at least four separate transformation attempts involving organization design, processes, tools, consultants and everything else OTHER than a focus on removing organizational dysfunctions & improving behaviors!

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Karen M @Kiron Bondale What Kiron describes is unfortunately a far too common reality. 😞

I work at a pretty large enterprise and they're currently rolling out SAFe 😬 throughout the entire company. Some of us have actually managed to remain agile anyway though. I will never succumb to fake agile! ✊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Karen M -

The big challenge companies face is the (fr)agile industrial complex works really hard to make things complicated. Just look at nomenclature - there is no standard lexicon between and even within some companies. For example, I’ve seen different teams within the same company use the term feature to represent:

• The top-level “big work item” in a user story map
  • A synonym for epic
  • A work item at the same level as a user story

On top of that, companies which purchase or have a work management tool before their teams understand how to be agile using old school (e.g. sticky notes on a whiteboard) methods will be crippled by and adopt the limiting factors within those tools. Don’t even get me started about the issues with the Atlassian suite…

Kiron

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Karen M -

The big challenge companies face is the (fr)agile industrial complex works really hard to make things complicated. Just look at nomenclature - there is no standard lexicon between and even within some companies. For example, I’ve seen different teams within the same company use the term feature to represent:

• The top-level “big work item” in a user story map
  • A synonym for epic
  • A work item at the same level as a user story

On top of that, companies which purchase or have a work management tool before their teams understand how to be agile using old school (e.g. sticky notes on a whiteboard) methods will be crippled by and adopt the limiting factors within those tools. Don’t even get me started about the issues with the Atlassian suite…

Kiron

I like the use of the term (fr)agile! I’m deffo going to be stealing this! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Kiron Bondale @Karen M I love it too! Stole it for our Agile Myth-Busting event tomorrow. 😁