Answered

How does teams and accounts works?

• 15 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi! I have a Miro account with my work email and we use it for work, but I wanted to use Miro for other personal things so I create another account with my personal mail, It was that the right way to do it? I still don’t understand how teams work and I’m never sure who see my board when I create one, only members of that team? 

If I create a board and then share it my students, are they then gonna see all the boards of my team?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 15 May 2021, 20:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@yami - l have yet to find a clear and concise article/infographic on how Miro’s account/profile/teams/projects/boards structure works. This is likely due to the complexities created by the varying functionality between plan types - Free, Team, Consultant, Business, Enterprise, and Education. Without knowing which plan you are on, I will just give examples from a Team Plan perspective.

Here’s some info about the board’s Share settings (where you will be able to determine if anyone can see your boards or if they are truly “private”:

So, in the above example, I am the only person who can access this board as the Team and Public/Anyone settings are both “No access” AND I have not added anyone directly to the board (which would been at the bottom beside Sharing settings):

Projects

You can think of Projects kind of like “folders” on your computer -- they are a way to organize your boards.

When you create a project, depending on your Team’s default sharing settings, they Project may be visible to just you or your whole team may see it too.

In the above example, I will create a Project called “Test Project” and add the board to it - after I have done this, here’s what I see when I open the board’s Share settings:

I won’t go into all of the details about Projects (you can read about them here), but I will point out the this import option in a Project’s settings:

Project Use Case

• You only want three team members to work on boards to do with the banking system UX initiative.
  • You create a Project called “Banking System”.
  • You move boards to do with this initiative.
  • You DISABLE the Anyone in your team can view this project option.
  • You then use the Add members link to add your three team members to the “Banking System” Project.
  • The boards in this Project grows to six boards.
  • A new team member is added to the initiative, so you add them to the Project - this saves you from having to add this new member to all six boards, and any new boards that are created for this “Banking System” initiative.

Creating a new Miro account with your personal email

Using a Free Plan has a number of limitations - you can read more about them in the Free Plan Help Center article. I would suggest only using your Free Plan for things that are 100% personal and that you would not want to lose if you suddenly lost access to your work Miro account.

Userlevel 1

Thanks a lot Robert! So if I create a team in my work account to my personal use. When I create the team it would only be visible for me or also for my company?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@yami - Unless you are an admin of a Consultant Plan or Enterprise Plan, you won’t be able to create a new team using your work email address. If you try to use the Add teams (“+”) button, you will likely be taken to a page where Miro wants you to buy a new team - this is because your Miro account profile (email address) is already a member of a team, so you can’t create your own Free Plan team using your work email address.

Questions:

1. What plan is your company using?
  2. How many teams do you see on the left-hand side of your Miro dashboard? For example, my Miro account profile is a member of ten teams:

Userlevel 1

My company has the bussines plan and we have only two teams (of them is actually not being used)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@yami - You could use that other team, however, there may be other team members who can see it too.