How do I trace back lines on an affinity diagram?

• 17 February 2021
  • 4 replies

I conducted a brainstorming session using the affinity diagram template but I’m having trouble decoding the results. Export gives me a flat list rather than a hierarchy. Is there any way to select a box and see all the connected sub-boxes? People drew lines to link things into clusters but I can’t follow the lines easily. Am I missing some tool to make this simple? As it stands, the Affinity Diagraming tool doesn’t work much like affinity diagraming in real life.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jan Oldenburg - You could try out the Clusterizer app in Miro.

Essentially you could apply tags that have the same names as your diagram’s quadrants to the sticky notes in those quadrants and then use Clusterizer to visualize the relationships.

I expect, however, that something that calls itself an affinity diagraming tool has functionality that bears at least a passing resemblance to the way that affinity diagraming works in person. The beauty of a classic affinity diagram is that the individuals all move stickies into clusters and you can see what has been clustered together--and the names for the clusters emerge from the contents of what has been grouped together. I see no way to get there from the tool. I had people use arrows to draw relationships from the lower tiers to the higher tiers but a one-dimensional export doesn’t allow me to see those created relationships. What am I missing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Jan Oldenburg - I don’t think you’re missing anything. The Clusterizer app may not work for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Jan Oldenburg @Robert Johnson  --

Are we talking about:

@Jan Oldenburg   You’re use of the terms “tiers” really makes me think you’re talking about the Template.